soot throughout the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes a particular stove may have a problem
I took out a Meridian that work great in my showroom to install as a demo. Connected in up at the personas house works great

then back out my store in the same spot connected a brand NEW made this year Meridian in the same place.
It is burning like crap. the stove soots up black in 2 hours.
I can only get .10 PAS on my magnahilic with the Air control All the way out. Need about .12 and you normally get that with the air half way out.
I check the door GOOD
Checked the Ash pan door GOOD
Check the burnpot GOOD

Im going to check the Voltage reading on the combustion blower tomorrow morning.

So what im trying to say
I could be anything. Even an SO CALLED expert like me is stumped sometimes.

Replace the door gasket
Check the ash pan if any for seal
check the burn pot that no air is leaking around it and all air is going in the holes IN THE POT.
Check to be sure you did not get something in the Flue pipe when you were installing it.

In the past I did a big BOOBOO
we used to pre burn all our stoves at the store.
We installed a stove and it would not burn.
Took the vent off and Found I left a rag in the Flue outlet that I put in there so soot would not get on the carpet of the house.
OOOPS

http://www.hearthtools.com/install/DONOTDIRCTVENT.jpg
http://www.hearthtools.com/install/nodirectvent2.jpg

it sure looks like the burnpot isnt seated flat all the way arond .i thought i read somewhere that some burnpots had gaskets.ill check that out now. thanks jeff[quote author="hearthtools" date="1198052818"]Sometimes a particular stove may have a problem
I took out a Meridian that work great in my showroom to install as a demo. Connected in up at the personas house works great

then back out my store in the same spot connected a brand NEW made this year Meridian in the same place.
I can only get .10 PAS on my magnahilic with the Air control All the way out. Need about .12 and you normally get that with the air half way out.
I check the door GOOD
Check the burnpot GOOD

Im going to check the Voltage reading on the combustion blower tomorrow morning.

So what im trying to say

Replace the door gasket
Check the ash pan if any for seal
check the burn pot that no air is leaking around it and all air is going in the holes IN THE POT.
Check to be sure you did not get something in the Flue pipe when you were installing it.

hearthtools said:
Sometimes a particular stove may have a problem

I check the door GOOD
Check the burnpot GOOD

So what im trying to say

In the past I did a big BOOBOO
we used to pre burn all our stoves at the store.
We installed a stove and it would not burn.
Took the vent off and Found I left a rag in the Flue outlet that I put in there so soot would not get on the carpet of the house.
OOOPS

See this post for a update
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12660/

well finnally got my stove running the way it should be no thanks to the dealer who i got it from. as mentioned earlier in this post i incorrectlly installed the vent pipe which actually cured 1 major problem! as far as the dirty glass,when i received this stove it was missing the vacuum line for the auger motor so i took it upon myself to get 1. appairently the 1 i installed was to small. no were in my manual does it state the correct size the vacuum line should be.i installed a quater inch fuel line high heat hose and it looks like it took care of the dirty glass. the glass still gets dirty but not half as quicki. i dont think the dealer has a friggin clue about this stove because the few times i talked to/emailed them , i mentioned the vacuum hose with a question mark and they didnt say a word about it. bottom line i will never ever by something like this over the internet again . customer service is horrible. if i would have bought a stove from a local dealer and had these problems they would have been resolved a heck of a lot quicker. leson learned. thanks to all who tried to help. thanks jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.