soot trace at end of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobmaster

Mar 8, 2015
canada
Hi guys, i'm the new owner of a eco-65. Been running it nonstop for the past 7 days now. As you know ther first weeks is to test every condition, and i been pleased so far.
One thing is bothering me though, the accumulation of soot at the and of my chimney. there is a lot. The combustion seem fine, the flame is as good as can be, the ingnition is great, but at low speed it seem to me te create black smoke, and at high intensity it does not.
what your expertise on that?

see picture, remember it been 7 days of burning at low speed (1-2)
thx

Attachments

• 2015-03-06 16.05.14.jpg
    2015-03-06 16.05.14.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 185
Most stoves on low burn dirty. High burn usually cleans things up. I personally avoid low burning.

Thats nothing. If I could, I'd take a picture of my vertical, above the roofline vent top, it's not only black at the vent top, but down the pipe a ways too. Nothing to get concerned about.

thanks for your replys guys, it secures us. i guess i'll bring it to high gear from time to time to burn the eccess of soot.

thanks for your replys guys, it secures us. i guess i'll bring it to high gear from time to time to burn the eccess of soot.

I just spotted the sootand ash the other day on my vent as well. I took the end cap off and was surprised by the ash buildup inside. I used the shop vac to clear it all out...might have to try the leaf blower trick sometime, too.

Steady burning or cycling? On off cycles with cooler vent temps will make for some soot on end of venting. Hard and steady less problems as then the stack and stove stay warm. Like a car the cold starts etc. are the hardest on the engine and the exhaust.

Unlikely even a high burn will remove end of vent soot. Temps won't get high enough that far out on most installs. Just use a brush from time to time, and vacuum it out. I do mine about twice per year - midseason and end.

Status
Not open for further replies.