Soot????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikewelland

Jan 5, 2015
earth
hello all.

I have just recently purchased a PE super 27 wood burning stove about a month ago ( this is my first stove so I am a real newbie at all this) I installed a probe thermometer and decided to pull it out tonight and seen that there was black soot On the probe side of the thermometer. Just wondering if this is something to worry about? I can blow it off the probe so it is not sticky. Should I keep burning or am I doing something wrong. Thanks in advance for the help. The soot does not look that bad in the picture as most of it had flaked off as I held it
ffa7138cac12f39a5ba4c0f01f3db8af.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry. It's a probe into a chimney that gets encompassed with smoke, it's gonna get dirty.
First year burning, I would keep an eye in your pipe, maybe check it after a cord has been burned (+/-) and that'll give you an idea of what's really going on in there.
I burn about 3 cord a year, I sweep maybe 3 times a year, very little creosote each time, but it's simple to do, so I do.
Every time I sweep, I have to "wiggle" out the probe thermometer, scraping off the gunk that's built up on it.

Thank you for helping me out. Much appreciated. I will keep what you said in mind. It's a learning experience for sure so the more I know the better :)

x2 - even perfect solid fuel burning with very dry wood will produce soot and waste - no way around it. You are fine with a dirty probe. x2 also on keeping an eye on the system through a season or two of burning or whenever you have to consume compromised wood in any volume. Better safe than sorry and it is always good to have the simple tools and know how to keep your flu system clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.