Soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
So I noticed some soot on the hood of my F-250 and figure it has to be coming from the pellet stove exhaust. That is the only change around the house lately so that has to be it.

Am I burning the thing wrong to be getting soot out the exhaust, or is it a fact of life with pellet stoves?

Thanks,

Mike

depends on the amount, remember, you are in essence burning wood, so some soot is to be expected. probably more if the unit is being run on low a lot or if runnning on/off with a stat due to multiple restarts.

it is a great reason to check the flue system for buildup though

How close is the Ford to the exhaust? How high is your exhaust?

Eric

Been burning my Quad on Low for about 4 going on 5 yrs. No soot on my siding and I have my vent enclosed by brick pavers (stacks on both sides of the vent and flat (6"x12") over the top. Ash builds up in the bottom, but siding still looks the same as the other siding.

Some stoves are more apt to have soot issues. But I thought the Lopi's burned pretty clean? Its all about air to fuel ratios.

Have you tried adding more air?

that is not it. You are talking about a 23 foot drop around a corner about 9 feet. Look at the cap of the exhaust and see if it is all black, if not, you are not getting soot out. Your glass in the stove would be awful if you were producing enough soot to make it out to your truck.

Thanks Scott. For those that don't know, Scott just installed the stove back in late September. It is in the bonus room over the garage, but the cap on the exhaust is at least 25' off the ground. I have only burned it twice on chilly nights. The glass is not all sooted up. It is dark when I leave the house and get home from work so I am not able to see what the cap looks like.

I work at a nuke plant so I know that the soot is not coming from work. Will wash the truck on my next day off and try and figure this out.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.