sooteater or brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
i cant decide which is better seems like sooteater is easier but seems like brush will clean better what are people using for a mid winter cleaning.

Brush.

Sooteater is in no way intended to replace a cleaning if you need one, it simply breaks down the creosote in the flue for easier cleaning. Can you look down the flue?

If you are doing bottom-up cleaning, the sooteater on a drill with it's more flexible rods seem like they'd be OK but I only do top-down with traditional brush.

ya i can see up pipe looks just like soot up there, and i do have to clean from bottom up. i stiil have sweep come at end of season just looking to clean so i can sleep well,,, be burning non stop all dec.

I think if you don't have hard crusty stuff at the top, the sooteater should be fine. If a pro sweep will do it later with brushes, I'm sure he/she would get anything you might miss. If you have any ovalized liner, the sooteater will go through it easier too.

Sorry, I thought Sooteater was one of those off the shelf, magic in a bottle, chimney cleaning chemicals. It seems like the sooteater will do fine in between sweeps.

no prob my fault, the spinng guy that connects to a drill, i have 14 ft of pipe looks good just a little dirty up on top end on roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.