Sooteater rod broke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbn642blue

Jun 22, 2010
NW Ohio
I started to clean from the bottom up going through a 90 degree clean out tee. I got the first white rod though the tee and attached a black rod and got about3 feet past the tee when the white rod broke about 1/2 inch from the metal coupling.

Of course the white rod stayed in the chimney. I was a bit miffed to say the least. I did manage to get the rod out, but what did I do to break the rod? Drill speed too fast? I really don't know.

Wish I could help- do you have a photo of the broken rod? I have used mine a couple of times without issue and that is with an offset in my flue and a 33' run going throught the thimble.

Maybe the head got caught up? I have had mine pretty cranked without any concerns. Also, how old are the rods? Are any of the others showing signs of wear?

I wonder if Gardus would provide a new rod?

I just bought this brand new about a week ago. I'm not sure how the head could have bound up on anything since it was 3 feet above the tee. ????

Status
Not open for further replies.