1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Sooteater rod broke

Post in 'The Gear' started by ssbn642blue, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssbn642blue

ssbn642blue New Member

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    I started to clean from the bottom up going through a 90 degree clean out tee. I got the first white rod though the tee and attached a black rod and got about3 feet past the tee when the white rod broke about 1/2 inch from the metal coupling.

Of course the white rod stayed in the chimney. I was a bit miffed to say the least. I did manage to get the rod out, but what did I do to break the rod? Drill speed too fast? I really don't know.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Wish I could help- do you have a photo of the broken rod? I have used mine a couple of times without issue and that is with an offset in my flue and a 33' run going throught the thimble.

Maybe the head got caught up? I have had mine pretty cranked without any concerns. Also, how old are the rods? Are any of the others showing signs of wear?

I wonder if Gardus would provide a new rod?
  3. ssbn642blue

ssbn642blue New Member

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    I just bought this brand new about a week ago. I'm not sure how the head could have bound up on anything since it was 3 feet above the tee. ????
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.