Sooteater Whip Lengths- Need Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Hoping someone can help me.

I have a sooteater that I used to use on my 8X12 clay liner. I have now installed a new 6" SS liner and want to do a quick sweep before I go off hunting to make certain everything is ok for the wife an kids, however, I have misplaced the chart from the owners manual that shows what length the whips should be cut to for the 6" liner.

Can anyone tell me the length or provide me an electronic copy of the chart? I went to the sooteater web site and could not find an electric copy of the manual.

Any help would be appreciated.

I trimmed mine for 6" pipe when I first got it, using the template in the manual. I didn't dig out the book just now, because there's no way I could get an electronic image of the template to you in proper scale. I did measure the strings on the head of the SootEater. They are just 6" across (diameter of the circle described when spinning). The center ball is a bit under 2" across, so my strings all measure about 2 1/8" out from the center hub to where I trimmed them off. Rick

fossil said:
I trimmed mine for 6" pipe when I first got it, using the template in the manual. I didn't dig out the book just now, because there's no way I could get an electronic image of the template to you in proper scale. I did measure the strings on the head of the SootEater. They are just 6" across (diameter of the circle described when spinning). The center ball is a bit under 2" across, so my strings all measure about 2 1/8" out from the center hub to where I trimmed them off. Rick

I appreciate the help, Rick.

I am off to trim the sooteater and run her up the liner. It looks like all puffy stugg looking up what i can see. Nice change from what i have seen in the past.

Well, 24 hours later and Gardus called me about the whip lengths. I ended up cutting them at 3"each ( better to have to trim more than less). Gardus said better to leave them slightly longer than needed.

Again, Rick, thanks for the info!

I never trimmed mine and it worked great. This action was inspired by at least one other poster on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.