1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

SootEater

Post in 'The Gear' started by thewoodlands, May 19, 2012.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Does anyone use the SootEater to clean the dryer vent?

zap

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

bluejacket, thanks for the info, we still might grab one at the local Ace Hardware Store. I just finished cleaning the dryer vent with the same brush we use on the Pellet Stove pipe, worked great.

I think the whole process took about 45 minutes, our dryer vent pipe runs about 20 feet.
    zap
    corey21 and ScotO like this.
  4. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    "I think the whole process took about 45 minutes, our dryer vent pipe runs about 20 feet."

Get a good draft on that dryer flue, do you?
    zap likes this.
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The Lint-Eater works great on the dryer and the Pellet stove vents. So if you have a decent pellet vent brush already? Then really no need to buy one. But the Soot-Eater for the pellet stove, uses the same twist rods as the Lint-Eater for the pellet stove.

Only the Soot-Eater for Woodstoves have "locked" rods. But either the Soot or Lint "Eaters" are good for pellet vents. The Soot eater may reek havoc on the flexible dryer vent. Where the lint eater will not tear it up. If your dryer vent is all solid vent. Then both will work, or continue to use your pellet vent brush that you already have.
  6. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I was given one of these for Christmas. I haven't opened the box yet. Will this work on a ovalized stainless steel liner? Also I have a Jotul C450. Should smoke tubes be remover and brush bottom up, or will top down be ok and the brushed off creosote burn up on top of the secondary burn chamber?
  7. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    I use the SootEater from the bottom up on my Jotul F-500.
    Just take out the air tubes, panel and blanket, then run it all the way to the cap. Then all the way down. Vacuum the particles out. Put the blanket, panel and tubes all back in. Cleaning the glass last and it heats like it was new!

The SootEater keeps me off the roof and ladder in mid winter, when snow and ice covered. I can easily and better clean the flue in any weather, with no tools to drop!