SootEater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Does anyone use the SootEater to clean the dryer vent?

zap

No, but I have a LintEater that works great. Made by Gardus who makes the SootEater.
http://www.linteater.com/included/
bluejacket, thanks for the info, we still might grab one at the local Ace Hardware Store. I just finished cleaning the dryer vent with the same brush we use on the Pellet Stove pipe, worked great.

I think the whole process took about 45 minutes, our dryer vent pipe runs about 20 feet.
zap

Reactions: corey21 and ScotO
"I think the whole process took about 45 minutes, our dryer vent pipe runs about 20 feet."

Get a good draft on that dryer flue, do you?

Reactions: zap
The Lint-Eater works great on the dryer and the Pellet stove vents. So if you have a decent pellet vent brush already? Then really no need to buy one. But the Soot-Eater for the pellet stove, uses the same twist rods as the Lint-Eater for the pellet stove.

Only the Soot-Eater for Woodstoves have "locked" rods. But either the Soot or Lint "Eaters" are good for pellet vents. The Soot eater may reek havoc on the flexible dryer vent. Where the lint eater will not tear it up. If your dryer vent is all solid vent. Then both will work, or continue to use your pellet vent brush that you already have.

I was given one of these for Christmas. I haven't opened the box yet. Will this work on a ovalized stainless steel liner? Also I have a Jotul C450. Should smoke tubes be remover and brush bottom up, or will top down be ok and the brushed off creosote burn up on top of the secondary burn chamber?

I use the SootEater from the bottom up on my Jotul F-500.
Just take out the air tubes, panel and blanket, then run it all the way to the cap. Then all the way down. Vacuum the particles out. Put the blanket, panel and tubes all back in. Cleaning the glass last and it heats like it was new!

The SootEater keeps me off the roof and ladder in mid winter, when snow and ice covered. I can easily and better clean the flue in any weather, with no tools to drop!

Status
Not open for further replies.