Sooty burn on Lopi 400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rap69ri

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Middle of RI
I'm trying to help my brother get his Lopi 400 PS running properly, but we can't seem to get the flame to burn soot free unless we place a fan next to the air intake pipe and force more air into the burn pot. We have taken the stove completely apart and cleaned the fans, exhaust pipe, air intake pipe, and the inside of the stove. The stove still burns poorly unless we intrduce additional air into the burn pot. Rather than wasting money throwing parts at the stove I figured I would ask here to see if anyone else has come accross this issue.

Thanks,

Rick

Well, based only on what you said, I would guess that the combustion blower might need to be removed and cleaned. If that's not the issue, then I would start wondering if the motor on it was running full speed.

I'm not familiar w/ that stove...does it have an air control? If so, open it more.

Finally got it figured out last night. The problem was a partial blockage between the inside of the stove where the exhaust exits and the chamber before the exhaust fan. We had to pull the chamber completely off and use a wire brush to remove ash that's been accumulating since it was new. Nowhere in the manual does it mention the need to do this.

So it came down to cleaning the stove better than the manufacturer thought it needed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.