Sore as heck today.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iembalm4aLiving

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2008
N.E. Ohio
We had a tree service come and take down a few trees and trim some others....one medium-sized ash and one giant cottonwood.

I spent most of the day yesterday splitting......after not splitting for 6 months.....today I'm feeling it. Walking like Fred Sanford......

imageydf.jpg

Yes, I know cottonwood is disliked for the most part. I just can't let it sit and rot. After a day of learning how best to split it, I can understand why many will avoid it. It's not fun. It's very stringy. No satisfying "crack" like most hardwoods.

Even though it burns fast, it still burns. And burn it I shall.

Once I can walk normally again and squat, I'll get back out there and stack it.....lol.....

Good job!
A "good sore" though :)
Great picture, allot said with it.
Nice sized pile of splits

BWS will surely mention the splitter in the vertical position :) (A thumbs up from him)

It's all BTUs. ( in the yard, better to burn it than pay to have it hauled away)

ibuprofen is my friend;lol

I get sore whether I take six months off or do it every week, its age, Ill be sore by htis time tomorrow night as I plan on finishing off my wood.
Hows that splitter working for you? I missed out on getting one, shouldnt have hesitated.

Fortunately, the body soreness only lasts a few days. For me, the prescription to justify the aches and pains is watching the stacks dry. Works for me, 'cause I just keep going out there and doing wood again. You made a nice pile of stored sunshine there - good work!

I get sore whether I take six months off or do it every week, its age, Ill be sore by htis time tomorrow night as I plan on finishing off my wood.
Hows that splitter working for you? I missed out on getting one, shouldnt have hesitated.

I like the splitter a lot. For me it's perfect. It doesn't take up a lot of room in my garage, and I can easily wheel it to where I need it. Even on these nasty cottonwood rounds, it's able to get the job done. Not as fast or as powerful as what many on the board use, but I'm perfectly happy with it. Beats the heck out of swinging a maul-especially on cottonwood.

We had a tree service come and take down a few trees and trim some others....one medium-sized ash and one giant cottonwood.
I spent most of the day yesterday splitting......after not splitting for 6 months.....today I'm feeling it. Walking like Fred Sanford......

Good job Lamont, you big dummy!

How many times did you clutch your chest and exclaim, "Elizabeth, I'm coming... It's the big one!"

Great Job. That should keep you busy for the next few hours.

Sometimes getting back out there will make you feel better quicker. Leave only a day or so in between.
Blood flow helps muscles repair/grow.

Good job!
A "good sore" though :)
Great picture, allot said with it.
Nice sized pile of splits

BWS will surely mention the splitter in the vertical position :) (A thumbs up from him)

It's all BTUs. ( in the yard, better to burn it than pay to have it hauled away)

ibuprofen is my friend;lol

For sure on the vertical splitting and you should not get sore doing it vertically! I like to sit and sit low as it makes the work so much easier. The hardest part for me is getting rid of the splits because of some bad shoulders. I get the job done though.

Not sure how I missed the post where you reviewed the splitter but just finished looking at it now. I'd bet too that the 12 ton will do most of the work and handle it okay. The price surely looks right. Bad about the engine oil though but you can buy a vacuum unit to do the job. Just make sure you do it after running so there is no settlement in the crankcase and it should be okay.

Well that second picture sure explains the sore body! Those are some FAT rounds. Heavy buggers to roll and shove around.

Well that second picture sure explains the sore body! Those are some FAT rounds. Heavy buggers to roll and shove around.

Yep, it was a huge tree. My heart sank when the tree guy looked at it and said, "Oh, that's a cottonwood. Not very good for firewood."

Gonna try and make the best of it, though.

I was splitting some large maple rounds today and as i got more into the middle of the rounds they were pretty hard, hit them with the X27, the 8lb maul and even a very sharp 2lb ax. Now I a just took off an ice pack off my elbow. NO bueno. I did get alot split and stacked today. tomorrow ill just ice it and watch some baseball.

Reactions: gd9704
And I thought I was sore today from a little cutting. You must have just about had a heart attack. I hope you don't have "the big one". That was a great show! They don't make shows like they used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.