Sore Elbow From Splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
This goes along with the maul swinging technique thread.

I find that after a few hours of splitting wood (ax and also maul and wedges), my right elbow is pretty sore. It stays sore for a day or two. I'm 52, and after years of computer keyboard and piano work my joints are pretty shot anyway, but I was wondering if I can improve this by changing my technique.

What are your experiences with soreness vs. swinging technique?

Is you maul handle wood or fiberglass?

Hi,

I am right handed but when I split wood by hand I split like I am a lefty. Maybe you could practice splitting lefty to give your right elbow a break or switch back & forth.

I would try to stay awy from the axe also it is not meant for splitting wood. The light weight and narrow angle of the axe I think requires a lot more effort to split a piece of wood than with a maul.

Just my 2 cents.

Craig

Try this exercise. It cured my elbow pain.

1. Take a pen in your right hand.

2. Hold the checkbook with your left hand.

3. Write a check.

4. Hand it to the guy selling the log splitter.

I get sore sholders from splitting by hand too. Thats why I am buying a TW5 Timberwolf splitter.

Brother Bart,
As much as I love the exercise,( the only exercise I get ) i do believe I have reached the point where the pen will be my next move . Great post.

adrpga498 said:
Brother Bart,
As much as I love the exercise,( the only exercise I get ) i do believe I have reached the point where the pen will be my next move . Great post.

Cutting the wood. Loading and hauling the wood. Unloading the wood. Wrestling it onto the splitter. Stacking the wood. Restacking the wood a few times when the stacks fall over. Hey, there is enough exercise there to keep ya fit.

I am reminded of an interview years ago with Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. The interviewer commented about all of the working out Jagger did before a tour to get in shape and asked Keith if he worked out too. His reply was:

"I am a guitar player for the (expletive deleted) Rolling Stones. Just how much more (expletive deleted) exercise does a person need?"

BrotherBart said:

3. Write a check.

I tried this exercise, it didn't hurt my elbow but it certainly hurt writing a check for $5200 for a timberwolf tw-5 with loglift and hydraulically adjustable 4-way wedge.

In retrospect it has been worth every penny.

Craig

Switching from a wood handle to a plastic handle solved my elbow issues.

BrotherBart said:

3. Write a check.

Ah, the pen is mightier than the maul!

Splitting technique help can help a lot. I switched techniques, and I'm not swinging as hard so it's easier on the elbows, plus the work is split across both elbows more evenly, thus less soreness.

Thanks for the ideas.

The handle on my Chopper wood splitting ax (the one with the cams on the side) is plastic. The handle on my six pound sledge (for driving wedges) is wood.

I'd get a hydraulic splitter, but I really enjoy doing it myself. Good exercise, and much more fun and rewarding that running or working out on a rowing machine.

Attachments

• SplittingEquipment.jpg
    SplittingEquipment.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 604
You need an 8 lb maul with a plastic handle to add to your collection. You will find it will nearly obsolete your other tools.

Sandor said:
You need an 8 lb maul with a plastic handle to add to your collection. You will find it will nearly obsolete your other tools.

Agreed
I feel like Superman with that thing

I have noticed that the handle is bending away from the "sharp" end, not cracked but the force of the impact must be having an effect on the Hickory
It was straight as an arrow when new

Status
Not open for further replies.