sorry-another venting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
I understand the best piping solution is to have a vertical rise (with a T for cleanout).

However, I want to save $200 and just run straight out of my house. IF I do this, will I have any problems with cleanout-or will I be okay? I don't want to spend the extra money, but if I have to I will.

I have a Harman xxv-corner install. I am trying to avoid the up and out for aesthetics. It is placed at the front of our house with the piping going out the side, about 12 inches from the front of the house.

Sure you can run straight out. But most will recommend at least 3 feet of rise. You don't need to seal the outside joint seems so you can always add the extra pipe rise later on.

Make sure your within all the specs in the manual as far as distance around doors, windows and such!

we have many harmans out there that just dump straight out

I am, no doors or windows near it :) I have windows on the front around the corner, but the nearest window on teh side it will protrude is 10 feet away or more! :)

It's always wise to have some sort of vertical piping in the exhaust venting to provide a little natural draft.

Hi,
I was wondering about this myself. We just had a Harmon 45 installed, they put in a horizontal exhaust.
The manual shows the best way is out and 90 up then over.
Which is best? Which should be done for best performance?
Thanks so much, new and concerned, learning,
Angela

I tell my customers this: Straight out works, a rise works better. Please sign here if you want to save money and go straight out. Then I have a little disclaimer explaining the bennies of a rise. As long as the client knows the details up front, there are no shocks down the road.

Thanks. I figured it was the cheapest way for them to do and probably not the best. Have a feeling they are more about get your money and goodbye.
Thank you for your input.
Angela

countryhorse said:
Thanks. I figured it was the cheapest way for them to do and probably not the best. Have a feeling they are more about get your money and goodbye.
Thank you for your input.
Angela

Garjan111 said:
Plus it's easy to clean your chimney. Shop vac from outside.

Hello "Fellow Ohioan's" Garjan111 and countryhorse.. Where abouts are you guys buying your pellets? Not many places around me. Actually there are, but not of a good quality. I have to drive a little ways.

Straight out works well for me, and is really easy to clean. A rise is preferable, but I was advised that it doesn't help that much. We lost power once while running the stove, and we got a faint smoke smell in the house, but no visible smoke, and a new smoke alarm (about 12' away on ceiling) didn't alarm. The stove has good gaskets, so that helped, I'm sure.
For me, the ease of cleaning far outweighs the benefits of a rise, but you must assess your own situation.
BTW, I do have an OAK, which helped keep the smoke out of the house when the power died.

Things that help with keeping the smoke at bay:

A vertical vent system.

If it is anything other than straight up you want either at least 3 feet of vertical and absent any vertical an OAK can help.

The places the smoke comes from is any air wash system that takes air in via intentionally admitting air via gaps around the window glass or door gaskets and the biggest two of all an unsealed hopper and the stoves air intake.

Hence with some stoves the phrase "If it smokes you must OAK".

YMWLV (your mileage will likely vary).

Status
Not open for further replies.