Sorry Everyone...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does do nasty job to saws too. How do you prevent that?

I don't have any pine, yet. Sounds like everyone here uses it for quick heat. How does it work for a mixer? All the stuff I've been reading here sounds like it could be a good mixer, almost like a balance for wetter wood...

It's fine for a mixer. It's fine alone. It's just fine, that pine!

Mass, if you mean the sap on the saws, just clean it off with turpentine. I don't know any other way.

Kurtz_the_horror.jpg

It does do nasty job to saws too. How do you prevent that?
There's no real getting around getting it on the saws and other equipment, but as was already mentioned, turpentine works well for that. As for getting it off your hands and arms, you can use turpentine there as well, or you could use some kitchen items like mayonnaise, margarine, olive oil and the like. My preference is olive oil since it also conditions the skin. As for getting it off clothing, I generally wear something expendable, something with stains, rips, or paint spatter and wash as usual. When the cloths get too bad, I'll just add them to the trash.

Haven't got any pine lately, but I'll try the turp next time. The spruce we have around here can be impossible to split by hand w/o hammer/wedges.

Well I may as well break the first post with a confession. I was one of those Eastern folk who didn't like the idea of burning pine in a stove. Too many folk stories about excessive creosote buildup and chimneys catching on fire. But I was fairly curious what people who lived in areas that were primarily filled with pine did for firewood which led me here.

Hi all, hope to learn plenty from you!

There's no real getting around getting it on the saws and other equipment, but as was already mentioned, turpentine works well for that. As for getting it off your hands and arms, you can use turpentine there as well, or you could use some kitchen items like mayonnaise, margarine, olive oil and the like. My preference is olive oil since it also conditions the skin. As for getting it off clothing, I generally wear something expendable, something with stains, rips, or paint spatter and wash as usual. When the cloths get too bad, I'll just add them to the trash.
I find that regular hand sanitizer takes sap off your hands quite well.

Reactions: bag of hammers
I actually work with a guy that burned about ten cords of pine he cleared off his own property over the course of a couple of years yet he still believes it causes creosote. Says he had to clean the chimney 3 to 4 times a season when burning it. I then asked him if he was ever able to get it to burn over night (I can't) he said sure, just gotta damper the thing down tight........... Yup, all that creosote was the pines fault. I stopped talking at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.