Sorta Refurb Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gitmo234

Dec 1, 2010
Oxford, PA
If you read this thread, I picked up the stove listed

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/89900/

I picked up the stove and the guy really had no idea what was going on. He hadn't cleaned his vent in years, had no idea about cleaning the stove, and no idea why it was having trouble keeping a flame going.

I missed the suggestion to take pics and make a refurb thread until I was done (too excited to get another stove), but I did basically all that was recommended and I took pictures once it was taken apart. Next deep cleaning I repost internal shots.

Here's some pics of the stove on my deck a few hours after pick up/purchase

stove1.jpg

stove2.jpg

stove5.jpg

stove7.jpg

stove4.jpg

stove8.jpg

stove6.jpg

The stove (very basically) needed cleaning...bad. Everything was functional. I took the stove apart, had some brushes (wire and soft), a shop vacuum, scraper, and tool set on hand and cleaned everything. I removed all the grime you see in the picture. I took the squirrel cage apart as much as I could, cleaned inside the blower, insde the exchaust, etc.

No matter what I did I always found more. The side handle/know is still stuck. It appears to be a rod you pull in and out to allow more air in or out and adjust that setting. No matter what I tried, it didnt work.

I'm guessing a cleaner rod went up front to clean/shake the heat tubes the air blows out of. Those things had about 1.5 inches of ash built up on them. The guy had no idea there was an ash pan. His exact words were "there's some broken or locked up button in the front you push but it never worked for me so I dont know what it does". the broke button was a flat head screw type knob to take out the ash pan, which was stuck and had about six inches of ash in it. The holes that allow air in and out had ashes in it.

I honestly spent more time vacuuming and getting ash out than anything else. The rest was scraping and cleaning. Really not a big deal. There was just ash everywhere, compacted and in eveyr corner. I would think I had it clean and I would move the stove and something would break loose. Its as if there was a deliberate effort to compact as much ash in the stove as possible.

I then painted the stove with high heat, flat black paint. Once it dried I installed the stove. I painted over some of the brass because I'm not a fan.

Next deep cleaning I'm going to take it fully apart again and snap some photos.

Long story short, I installed this in my house where my Harman is a bit weak. Fired it up and it keeps about 60% of my house blazing hot. One more of these and I wouldnt need a furnace at all. My house is long so a lot of registers are weak. With this thing I burn less pellets (a bag lasts about 15 or 16 hours), and the coldest room in my house is at 71, with my harman set to about 68.

This combined with my harman... I burned two bags in the stove, and four bags in the Harman PF100 lasted me from friday around 6 pm until this morning when the low fuel light came on.

stove_final.jpg

stove_final1.jpg

Oh oh no surge protector?

Wait till Dexter sees that. :lol:

Glad its working out for ya.

You seem to have the stove thing down pat and now fully understand why all instruments of torture need to be used to get one clean.

Now about those long hot air runs, are all of the joints sealed with tape, insulated, and the runs cleaned?

Is the return run size at least as large as the combined register area and the convection fan set to move the correct amount of air?

They make air flow measuring devices you can place at a register to find the air flow rate through that register.

Then check any balancing dampers to make sure they are not closed or plugged with (you guessed it) crud. Them darn dust bunnies show up in the strangest places.

Gotta feel good about getting her going and a really good deal!

Tom C.

What a Great Deal!!

I would definitely get a good surge protector on there ;-P

Did you blow the motors out with compressed air? And then drop some lube in them? Just wondering... Sounds like you got it all covered.

Is the rod for the heat exchange cleaner missing? If so, that would be a pretty big air leak, and possibly affect the burn.

Great stove. Great price. Gotta love it!! :lol:

You did a great job! Looks like a fun and rewarding project. Thanks for posting!

Nice deal and a nice job bringing it back to life! The EF-2's are like tanks! Simple and crank decent heat for their size. A quick burnpot scrap daily and a once a week cleaning is norm for these little gems. A bit pellet picky, But the high ash burnpot ease's that nicely! Good little stove IMHO!

Keep us posted on how you like it! ;-)

Nice job bringing the old girl back to life.

I see oil plugs on the comb. motor in the 5th picture down....hope you pulled the plugs out and put 2-3 drops of oil in the ports. I'm guessing the conv. blower has oiling ports too.

Status
Not open for further replies.