Sorta scrounge...Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
Pics because it did happen.

Long story short, my brother inlaw and sister inlaw had a maple cut down about a year ago. We weren't burning at the time, or else I would have been all over that "Tell them to leave the tree there! LEAVE THE TREEE!!!!!!1111111oneoneoneone"

My brother inlaw had saved some chunks to burn in their fire pit for the upcoming summer. Well, they had 2 or 3 fires. So he asked me if I wanted the wood he had left. Sure! I got a decent haul; hard to say how much. But as a weekend burner, I'm sure this will last me awhile.

I'm not sure what type of maple this is. Can you tell from the pics?

The wood was cut a year ago. However, it was split a few months ago. Think it'll be ready to burn in another month or so?

Attachments

• IMG00178 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00178 (Medium).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG00179 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00179 (Medium).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 445
Skier76 said:

Long story short, my brother inlaw and sister inlaw had a maple cut down about a year ago. We weren't burning at the time, or else I would have been all over that "Tell them to leave the tree there! LEAVE THE TREEE!!!!!!1111111oneoneoneone"

My brother inlaw had saved some chunks to burn in their fire pit for the upcoming summer. Well, they had 2 or 3 fires. So he asked me if I wanted the wood he had left. Sure! I got a decent haul; hard to say how much. But as a weekend burner, I'm sure this will last me awhile.

I'm not sure what type of maple this is. Can you tell from the pics?

The wood was cut a year ago. However, it was split a few months ago. Think it'll be ready to burn in another month or so?

sugar maple

+1 sugar maple, my favorite!

Sugar maple is my favorite tree in the world. Not firewood, I mean actual tree. They are the most beautiful, IMO. I only mention this because it reminded me that it's time for our yearly "Timber Pics" that get put on the Christmas cards we send out.

It was a really nice tree in front of their house. The trunk came up, then forked into two. Well, it cracked at the fork; so it had to come down.

it is 100% sugar maple, we burn alot of it.

when you say split a few months ago, how many? i cut and split about 3 cords of it in march and april, and its borderline now. its hovering at 21-22%, but they are rather large splits. you might be okay...

Probably back in July or August?

I should probably get a moisture meter and get the low down.

you might be okay considering it was cut a year ago, but it may be questionable. get a moisture meter, take a few splits and split them in half and test. the outer parts may read okay, but might still be somewhat wet on the inside.

I'll bring a split or two this weekend. If it drops the stove temp....I'll know it's too wet.

Skier76 said:

Knock two pieces together and if they seem light when you pick them up and they make a nice hollow sound and not a thud then they are close to being ready.
Remember the 2 rules.
Rule#1. No wet wood in the Temple
Rule#2. Don't forget Rule#1

Status
Not open for further replies.