sotfwood vs hardwood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just a question, which is better, i was told yesterday that the softwood is by far superior
Whether a pellet is hardwood or a pellet is softwood will play no factor at all in determining the quality of your pellet. The two most significant factors in determining a pellet's quality are the cleanliness of the raw material (no bark, dirt or forieng debris) and the moisture content. Moisture is so often overlooked, and it is probably the single most important factor. Remember, when pellets are made, they are all compressed to the same density.
I will hear some people say "my stove does not like softwood" and I will hear some people say, "my stove does not like hardwood." Neither is right, but based on their experience, they truly believe this to be fact.
If someone burns some crappy hardwood pellets, and then tries Okanagan or LaCrete, they will probably form the opinion that softwoods are better. Not necessarially true, but using the limited sampling pool that they used, it would seem like a reasonable conclusion. On the flip side, if someone burns some crappy softwoods, and then tries Somerset or Barefoot, they will probably draw the opposite conclusion. But in reality, most pellets, whether hardwood or softwood, have a density of somewhere between 41 lbs and 44 lbs per cubic foot, thus eliminating the hardwood vs softwood factor.

Reactions: SwineFlue and ScotL
Whether a pellet is hardwood or a pellet is softwood will play no factor at all in determining the quality of your pellet. The two most significant factors in determining a pellet's quality are the cleanliness of the raw material (no bark, dirt or forieng debris) and the moisture content. Moisture is so often overlooked, and it is probably the single most important factor. Remember, when pellets are made, they are all compressed to the same density.
I will hear some people say "my stove does not like softwood" and I will hear some people say, "my stove does not like hardwood." Neither is right, but based on their experience, they truly believe this to be fact.
If someone burns some crappy hardwood pellets, and then tries Okanagan or LaCrete, they will probably form the opinion that softwoods are better. Not necessarially true, but using the limited sampling pool that they used, it would seem like a reasonable conclusion. On the flip side, if someone burns some crappy softwoods, and then tries Somerset or Barefoot, they will probably draw the opposite conclusion. But in reality, most pellets, whether hardwood or softwood, have a density of somewhere between 41 lbs and 44 lbs per cubic foot, thus eliminating the hardwood vs softwood factor.
Oil?...Yeah, Bertolli Extra Virgin- Love the damn stuff!

LOL!!

Reactions: SwineFlue
I'll give softies the cleanest burning title! Douglas fir has been the cleanest fiber I have seen at around 0.17% ash content. SPF comes in usually under 0.3%! Size and density factor in with heat. So heat can be very close between them if they are compressed to the same density/similar size.

I agree-
I'll give softies the cleanest burning title! Douglas fir has been the cleanest fiber I have seen at around 0.17% ash content. SPF comes in usually under 0.3% Size and density factor in with heat. So heat can be very close between them if they are compressed to the same density/similar size.

Jtakeman has actual hands on reviews - so trust his numbers.

As for me, I concur, I love softwoods - especially the Douglas Firs - they burn clean, the ash is light and they are hot.

I pretty much just burn softwoods these days. They are cleaner and throw more heat, dollar for dollar, IMO.

There is probably a good reason softwoods cost a bit more.

I have not found the heat to be that far superior however to me they are worth the extra price based on how much cleaner they burn than most hardwoods.

There is probably a good reason softwoods cost a bit more.

There absolutely is!
As a dealer, I can buy most softwood pellets cheaper than I can hardwood pellets. But....The kicker card is freight. When we dealers buy pellets wholesale, we buy them "at the manufacturing plant" and then we must pay the truckers to bring them into us. Most of the really good softwood pellets are coming out of The Pacific Northwest and/or Brittish Columbia. Although the pellets themslves are less expensive than many local hardwood pellets, the freight charges to bring them in are at times outrageous. This adds to the "landed cost" (pellet price plus freight) and usually puts the softwoods at a higher overall price than many local hardwoods.

I have had very good results with both in my quad but the softwood is MUCH cleaner... The softwood i am burning is a red pine saw dust and burns very hot and clean. I recently put several different types of pellet in a dish with enough water to absorb into pellets and had some interesting results.

I've had people tell me that their pellet stove manual says to burn only hardwood pellets. I was kind of surprised a stove manufacturer would say that.

I've had people tell me that their pellet stove manual says to burn only hardwood pellets. I was kind of surprised a stove manufacturer would say that.

I've run Pro-Pellets, Sommersets and this year bought some Isabella softwoods. My results are the Isabellas are very clean but only good as a shoulder season pellet, not very hot. The Pro-Pellets this year are not to bad, burning hot but the ash is medium. Had some Pro-Pellets a couple of seasons ago that were horrible. The Sommerset are great as always.

You don't say what kind of stove your running, hardwoods do just fine for me. But I've got an ash pan bigger than your head;lol

I've tried New Enland, Team Greene, Green Supreme, Maine's Choice. My favorite is Team Greene.

I've tried New Enland, Team Greene, Green Supreme, Maine's Choice. My favorite is Team Greene.
The name is Greene Team. And the New England and Green Supreme are the exact same pellet....different bags.

The name is Greene Team. And the New England and Green Supreme are the exact same pellet....different bags.

Thank you.

Lowes has Green Supreme for $4.38 per bag, New England at local oil place at $6.00 per bag.

just a question, which is better, i was told yesterday that the softwood is by far superior
Oh Lord, here comes the eternal feud!!! :)

Reactions: MacP and SwineFlue
...all this talk about hard/soft wood,... did I click on the wrong site ?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.