SOTW: biggest, baddest, progressive insanity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Okay... you fans of Tull, Rush, Yes, Genesis, Primus, Dream Theater... all things odd, bizarre, complex, and quirky.

Scotty's recent post from Dream Theater set me on this one. Post the biggest, baddest, most complex composition you know. I'm setting the bar...

Larks Tongues in Aspic (part 1):

Larks Tongues in Aspic (part 2):

Unfortunately, I know of no true vintage footage of part 2.

Any song by The Cramps. I love 'em.

Reactions: Mrs. Krabappel
all the good ones are soooooo looooong.

Reactions: Ashful and PapaDave
A lot of noise from 4 guys.

Reactions: Ashful
Good choice begreen!

I'm really surprised no one has posted this one, so I'll do it myself. Well worth the 26 minute investment, if you're not already with the theatrics of Peter Gabriel era Genesis. So many good tunes, it's hard to choose, but I'd say this must be my favorite Genesis tune of all time.

Yes, that weird guy with the reverse mohawk is Peter Gabriel. Remember when he was skinny? Heck... remember when Phil Collins had HAIR?!? ;lol

... as always, for the impatient... the song picks up around 9:30 minutes, and doesn't get real exciting until 19:00 minutes.

("...a flower?")

Good choice begreen!

I'm really surprised no one has posted this one, so I'll do it myself. Well worth the 26 minute investment, if you're not already with the theatrics of Peter Gabriel era Genesis. So many good tunes, it's hard to choose, but I'd say this must be my favorite Genesis tune of all time.

Yes, that weird guy with the reverse mohawk is Peter Gabriel. Remember when he was skinny? Heck... remember when Phil Collins had HAIR?!? ;lol
... as always, for the impatient... the song picks up around 9:30 minutes, and doesn't get real exciting until 19:00 minutes.

("...a flower?")

While I know Genesis as Phil Collins stuff, and Peter Gabriel's album "So" this early stuff was just introduced to me (the hubby and I are 10 years apart so for music, it's a BIG 10 years) when The Musical Box, a Genesis cover band actually licensed by Gabriel, played at Yestival. My husband had to explain the bat wing head gear, the flower head costumes, etc, never knew that side of Gabriel! I'm all for avant guard stuff (well except Yoko Ono) and while the music was unfamiliar it was enjoyable and the stage antics cracked me up.

The Musical Box is playing at the Keswick Theater in Glenside in November. We just got tickets when we saw Adam Ant last week.

Here's their version, they did this at Yestival too :) Even the stage set is similar.

a totally under appreciated band IMO

I was thinking about post Karn Evil...figured someone would throw something at me ;lol.

The OP request was for the baddest. Tarkus was pretty good too. Lucky Man a total classic.

Reactions: Ashful and Delta-T
These are a bit out of my league, had to ask my hubby for his suggestions....here are his picks

Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans

And of course Thick as a Brick and A Passion play, both Tull concept albums are at the top of his list but waaaay to long to post on this thread ;)

More mellow, shows the range these guys could play.

What, no Zeppelin?

What, no Zeppelin?
One of the best bands of all time... but maybe a little tame in comparison to monsters like Karn Evil 9, YYZ, A Passion Play, or Larks Tongues in Aspic?

Going waaaay back, here's one that really put the music nerds on their toes, in 1969. This album was released only two years after Sgt. Pepper... !!!

The older ELP fans should recognize the guy at the microphone.

What about Zappa?

Frank makes the his guitar sing on this one awesome player:cool:

Hendrix!

Status
Not open for further replies.