Sound like little castanets coming out of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newf lover

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Eastern CT
I have never heard this sound before. Fired it up, and there is a sound like little castanets (I don't know how to describe it) coming out from I think the combustion blower. P68, direct vent, running on 5 years. I am waiting till it's off tomorrow before taking the panel off. Any possible ideas of what this is? I don't think there's anything to oil in this stove.

Bonus points awarded for using the word "castanets"! Never heard of that word before. Google to the rescue.

Possibly a pellet bouncing around in there?

Well, I figured out if I waited till tomorrow when the sound was stopped, that's no way to figure out where a sound is coming from, duh. I opened up the panel, and poked around. Didn't find anything, but the sound is gone. Maybe it was a pellet, I didn't even think of that. I put the panel back on and still no sound. I guess problem solved! Thanks.

crud buildup on the blower vanes or housing hitting the vane.

Or a spooky gremlin :eek:

---Nailer---

Another self healing Harman!

extremely small mariacchi band??

Reactions: thedude110
I occasionally get some rattles like this too. it usually goes away after a cleaning.

I used hear the flapper on the combustion air tube making a ticking kinda sound when the distribution blower is off on my P61A. My 43 did it occasionally, too. I don't seem to notice it too much anymore...Guess I just learned to live with it...An OAK may eliminate or at least mitigate that sound, but I haven't gotten around to installing one yet. I plan to, because I've noticed a really chilly draft heading towards the unit when the P61A is roaring...

I spoke too soon! It is no big deal, i just find it annoying. I am used to a lot of noises with this stove, but this is a new one. I didn't hear it until the stove was running for a good 10-15 minutes at least. Opened the panel, the noise happened even when the distribution fan wasn't moving, so guess it's not that. I took the cage on the outside of the combustion blower off and it didn't make any difference. It seems like when it starts powering down to turn off, the noise stops. Fans are still moving during shutdown. I did have a thought, but since I am ignorant of all things mechanical, this may mean nothing. My husband was afraid we would lose power during the storm and the house would get cold and turned on the stove. We lost power for a few seconds several times, and so did the stove, then it started back up. We do have a surge protector. I turned it off right away, but it takes awhile to actually stop and shut down. Could this be something with the motor? And oh by the way, the temperature climbed to 68 degrees that day....Finally, the stove was thoroughly cleaned this summer, including all the fans. I've only burned 4 bags so far.

I have a brand spankin new P68 installed last week and it makes the same noise.I thought it was supposed to do that.Now I'm so confused.

Maybe your noise is the pellets falling?? I can't really describe my noise. If I get motivated tomorrow I'll film it and try to post that. I should just shut up since the stove works fine. You do get used to the noises, and there are a bunch.

My stove has an occasional tinkle when the auger feeds, really noticable with corn. Beats the banging when feeding long pellets

Is it a rhythmic noise? In other words, when it's making the noise, does it have a steady beat? Is it only when the auger is turning?

It doesn't really have a steady beat, and it's not just when the auger's turning. To me it seems to be coming from the combustion blower, but when I took the cage off, the noise didn't stop. There is another fan more flush to the stove. I'll look at that tomorrow.

You been listening to the Diamonds "Little Darlin'" recently?

Reactions: oldmountvernon
That was great! I enjoyed the song; it came out the year I was born. It did sound like the sound in the beginning, as a matter of fact. It didn't do it last night, or this morning so far. Whatever. Maybe my stove fixed itself again, or maybe it's trying to annoy me.

Sounds like debris hitting your fan blades behind the ash pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.