Sounds as if its raining in my liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
I've been burning since Oct I guess, have stayed on top of cleaning my liner with my newbie wood. I cleaned 2 weeks ago, and the last few fires from a cold start it sounds as if something is raining down on my baffle but it stops after a little bit...what's up with that?

I agree but that creosote may or may not be a problem. It certainly points to a potential problem though and this is why I keep on preaching about the fuel you burn. You won't burn poor fuel in your regular furnace so why would you in a stove. You won't burn poor fuel in your car either. Imagine getting a tank of poor fuel and what would happen. It happened to us one time and it was simply terrible. Fortunately it turned out okay but not until we'd lost a lot of time on a long drive. We put additives in the tank and when we finally reached 1/2 tank and filled up did it start to improve. I recall at the time the vehicle we were driving got around 22 miles per gallon but on that tank or tank and a half we got 10 mpg and they were very slow miles. Plus the cost of the additives it was expensive. Wood stoves and inserts are no different. Poor wood = poor results. Let the wood have 2-3 years of drying and you will be amazed at the difference.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree but that creosote may or may not be a problem. It certainly points to a potential problem though and this is why I keep on preaching about the fuel you burn. You won't burn poor fuel in your regular furnace so why would you in a stove. You won't burn poor fuel in your car either. Imagine getting a tank of poor fuel and what would happen. It happened to us one time and it was simply terrible. Fortunately it turned out okay but not until we'd lost a lot of time on a long drive. We put additives in the tank and when we finally reached 1/2 tank and filled up did it start to improve. I recall at the time the vehicle we were driving got around 22 miles per gallon but on that tank or tank and a half we got 10 mpg and they were very slow miles. Plus the cost of the additives it was expensive. Wood stoves and inserts are no different. Poor wood = poor results. Let the wood have 2-3 years of drying and you will be amazed at the difference.

Agreed, that's why I'm cleaning a lot more than I hope to be when I am a vet such as yourself. But its. Not as if I am burning wood from the bottom of a lake...its only split a few inches in diameter and covered...

Seasoned wood is a must as you will read. If I'm splitting maple one year is usually ok in our area if top is covered and stacked properly. For oak or others definitely 2-3 years for best results.
Be safe

Yup . . . the sound of rice crispies falling down the stove pipe . . . had that happen once in my first year . . . creosote loosening up and falling down.

firefighterjake said:
Yup . . . the sound of rice crispies falling down the stove pipe . . . had that happen once in my first year . . . creosote loosening up and falling down.

But...but....but, I sweep...I swear I do. Well, maybe I'm messing that up.... using the soot eater, I go up then down, takes a few minutes in total...am I not spending enough time on it?...my wood isn't THAT bad....is it?

James02 said:
firefighterjake said:

But...but....but, I sweep...I swear I do. Well, maybe I'm messing that up.... using the soot eater, I go up then down, takes a few minutes in total...am I not spending enough time on it?...my wood isn't THAT bad....is it?

Proof is in the puddin'. With creosote falling down your chimney, the wood certainly isn't that good and / or the stove is being operated at too low a temp, or there could be air leaking in somewhere, etc, etc. However, the easiest thing to point fingers at first is the wood.

Since you are observant enough to know that there is something going on, keep on cleaning often and you should be fine.

After your cleanings, have you visually inspected the chimney to see that it is clean? At this point, if I were you, i'd be looking at this unit before and after the cleanings.

How much creosote are you getting from the cleanings that you have done?

pen

Thee last cleaning I did on 1-20 had a bit more than I've have in the past, there was a cold stretch and I was running him more. But after a normal cleaning I don't get a terribly large amount of product, since I do clean every 2 or 3 weeks....I have not looked in the liner after, but I will now. I'll probably clean today to be safe.

How much is a not so terribly large amount? A cup? 2 cups? Quart? 1/2 Gallon? etc.

Also what does it look like? Light brown ash w/ black flecks in it? Coffee grounds? Black corn flakes? Black popcorn? Pieces of black peanut brittle? etc, etc.

pen

pen said:
How much is a not so terribly large amount? A cup? 2 cups? Quart? 1/2 Gallon? etc.

Also what does it look like? Light brown ash w/ black flecks in it? Coffee grounds? Black corn flakes? Black popcorn? Pieces of black peanut brittle? etc, etc.

pen

I would say less than a cup...It looks like shiny(sp) black flakes....then I burn it ( I put the question if its ok to do so before the board) and it seems to melt into one solid mass I notice when I shovel out ashes.

James02 said:
pen said:

pen

I would say less than a cup...It looks like shiny(sp) black flakes....then I burn it ( I put the question if its ok to do so before the board) and it seems to melt into one solid mass I notice when I shovel out ashes.

If you are only getting a cup out, and the chimney is truly getting cleaned and you aren't missing creosote, then that is not so bad. I highly suggest the visual inspection to double check that things are clean. (I like a high powered battery operated spot light for viewing deer and such at night, or you could lower a drop light).

pen

I'll bet your hearing creosote that's breaking free from the underside of your chimney cap. That would have enough free fall time to make the noise your hearing.

Do you have a flex liner? I think they are designed to expand and contract so the creosote breaks loose.

sebring said:
Do you have a flex liner? I think they are designed to expand and contract so the creosote breaks loose.

I do, but I've never heard this before....I am going to inspect whhen I clean, the worst part is removing the baffle...ugg!

Baffle removal should be pretty easy. Pull the pin, lift up to clear the back supply pipe and slide forward. Have a replacement gasket handy unless you have a Hogwildz special in there.

Ok, so....I just cleaned my liner...I mean I REALLY got in there....And it was filthy....I took the ever so easy to use Soot Eater and made a mockery of it. But this time before i even attached the drill I scrubbed it kinda all the way up to the cap, then attached the drill and ran it back down. The stuff is like glass in that I had some embers stilll lit and it melted into a sheet of Creasote. I'm hoping it corrected my starting issues that I've been having lately.....Questions...Comments???

I had the same thing last year, burning some oak that was not (apparently) adequately seasoned. To make matters worse, it would pile up on the top of the baffle and restrict the hole, making the stove sluggish and smokey. Using drier wood this year, no tinkeling. Standing dead oak, even with the bark off, is not dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.