Sounds like a Hearth.Com member wrote this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he's wrong about the rain - my stacks get rain on them. I am also concerned that I've exceeded the 9 to 12 month window for seasoning my firewoood. If only I had read this sooner.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to post a FAQ like this linked to Hearth.com on local Craigslist pages. Of course, that might 'dry up' the market for truly seasoned wood. :)

I think there are many on this forum that would argue this statement of his: (myself included)

"The woodpile must be sheltered to prevent rainwater from being re-absorbed: firewood that is exposed to rain will rapidly become just as wet as it was when freshly cut. "

Beyond that - it is an informative read for those that are not in the "know".

I agree with Jags, wood does not reabsorb the water. Other than that is is OK.

A fallen tree will wet rot before it dries enough for fire wood is incorrect also, many varibles in wood burning, lots of on the ground oak for years that is in good shape when cut.

I do not think that would have been posted from a hearth.com member because of too many half-truths in there. Also, one can not make a blanket statement of how long wood needs to season. If anyone believes that, they've not burned much wood at all. Probably never burned good oak either.

Status
Not open for further replies.