Sounds to good to be true, but I’m GOING !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I work at a mortgage co. The janitor is a friendly old guy, always a joke to tell, or some story. The building had a leak, and we got talking about roofing.
Then he asked what I was doing this weekend. I told him moving my wood under my carport. He then told me that for 28 yrs, he worked for the county parks dept,
and they give away all the wood they collect. Yup, most leave it, that's how I get mine. He stops me, and says no, it's all split already. I laugh. He insists. C'mon Joe,
your busting my chops. Nope, he swears! Really? Yup.

How do you guys give away split wood, I ask. Well, the parks dept wants to keep their guys busy, so they take it to the lot. To keep the guys working, they have them split it, and stack it,
for free to give away. You just drive up, and take all you want.
He gave me an address and directions.

This would be a great find, if he's serious.

I'm on a mission to check it out, and may break my vow of no firewood in new car.

Have you left yet?? Now that you posted that "nice score" on the forum, I have no doubt that you are gonna find yourself last in line, with empty saddle bags :lol:

They won't deliver it and stack it? What kind of County service is that? Whatever happened to "government for the people"? %-P Rick

They probably use guys from the local detention center. Our county uses guys on work release to work at the local landfill. They unload pick up trucks and do general clean-up chores.
Mike

He has a tendency to interrupt the Loan Officers, so I didn't believe him.
He told me that they used to pay to have it have it hauled away. Supervisor decided that his guys needed
busy work, so they bought a splitter, and made an agreement with state police to use barracks parking lot.
Supposedly, they remove all wood they cut, take it to facility, cut,split,stack.
I will check it out on tuesday.
Monday, I'll get more info.

So, what was the outcome. The lack of response hopefully means you scored.

myzamboni said:

I have been getting a daily update fronm him. Also he grabbed some oak and brought it for me.

njtomatoguy said:
myzamboni said:

I have been getting a daily update fronm him. Also he grabbed some oak and brought it for me.

Between this and last year I'd have to say you have good firewood karma!

Damn I thought I was lucky getting rounds from the city. If what he is saying is true you may never have to split wood again.
Man I'll tell ya some guys have all the luck. Hopefully on your part it is a big score of wood. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.