Source for Chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I'm kooking to buy Chaps.

Who are the different manufactures?

Are there any quality differences I should look for?

Any suggestion's where I can find a good price, intranet or store?

Thanks Tom

I got a pair of 6-ply kevlar chaps from

http://www.labonville.com (NH folks)

for not a lot, fortunately, the most I've actually used them was to keep sawdust off my pants! I got the green ones that aren't full wraparound...

+1 for Labonville full wrap chaps!!

+2 for Labonville full wrap chaps. And plus 1 for making sure they are long enough - sent mine back also.

Lots of brands... Most of the major ones have been mentioned.

Look for a UL listing label - not all chaps are made to that spec.

More layers of padding are better.

Some folks claim that the Engetex? pads used in some brands (particularly Elvex, which I've heard makes Stihl and some other brands) are better / more effective than Kevlar.

Once you get a pair, (and possibly look at this when shopping) be careful to read and follow the specific manufacturer's "wash and care" instructions - these seem to vary considerably from brand to brand, and doing it wrong can significantly reduce the protection level of a set of chaps... You do want to keep them reasonably clean, as again, chaps that are caked with sweat, bar oil, tree sap, etc. lose their protection abilities.

Lastly, while shopping for chaps, don't forget the rest of the gear - chainsaw rated boots, loggers helmet, gloves, etc.

Gooserider

#3 for Labonville, they are made right in Gorham NH and are quite durable. Their patterns are based on short statured loggers so anyone over about 5'3 should buy the talls. They sel to the professional logging industry locally so they make darn sure that what they sell will last a long time as they dont want uposet loggers pounding on the front desk!

I also vote for Labonville, they have lots of cool stuff for the wood cutter and outdoor enthusiast.

I have never worn chaps before and have a cut a lot of wood.
I guess the good Lord protects children and fools.
What is "long enough"? Should they go past the knees, to the ankle or all the way to the top of your shoe/boot?

kobudo said:
I have never worn chaps before and have a cut a lot of wood.
I guess the good Lord protects children and fools.

A lot of folks are that way, at least until they mess up... Then they learn about messy and expensive doctor bills...

What is "long enough"? Should they go past the knees, to the ankle or all the way to the top of your shoe/boot?

Probably to the top of your boot if possible, especially if not wearing chainsaw rated boots. You definitely don't want any exposed areas.

Gooserider

I've never found any gloves that offer any protection. I wear Husqvarna gloves, but I suspect that are really just work gloves.

I remember you were searching for protective gloves, Goose. ever find anything?

WarmGuy said:

I've never found any gloves that offer any protection. I wear Husqvarna gloves, but I suspect that are really just work gloves.

I remember you were searching for protective gloves, Goose. ever find anything?

There are several, though I haven't found any I really "like" so far... Husky makes both chainsaw gloves and work gloves that you pay for the name printed on them - it's a bit hard to tell the difference (and IMHO borders on a deceptive advertising practice, but that's a separate discussion)

Bailey's offers a couple pairs that look interesting, and I've found several European outfits that offer them. Apparently there are at least two standards for protection level that relate to the chain speed - Class 0 at 16m/s or Class 1 at 20m/s

Sevseafe.co.uk offers several pairs, though they aren't cheap...

I found them by googling for "chainsaw+safe+gloves" which also turned up a lot of other vendors (some of which offered lots of "cut resistant" gloves but it wasn't clear whether they were chainsaw rated or not)

Biggest single problem is that I'm fussy about how my gloves fit, and am not happy about the idea of buying a pair that I can't try on first...

Gooserider

Labonville full wraps in green. MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE LIKE THEY SAY!!! Sorry to yell, but I messed that one up real good the first time I ordered. Like them for the cost and the people on the phone are actually nice as well.
Chad

Labonville has got have the most helpful and knowledgeable staff of any retail operation. I have been in 2 different stores on multiple occasions and have always been pleased with the service I received, nothing like shopping in a big box store and having to fend for yourself.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with Labonville, just impressed with their good old fashion customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.