source for hickory handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duramaximos

Dec 18, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Hello all.
I'm trying to find a replacement hickory handle for my vintage 6# maul. The eye dimensions are 0.75 x 2.75 and 36" long.

I live in Canada so my local big box options are pathetic as usual. I'm looking for an on line vendor who is willing to ship to Canada at a reasonable price.

Thank you!

Hello all.
I'm trying to find a replacement hickory handle for my vintage 6# maul. The eye dimensions are 0.75 x 2.75 and 36" long.

I live in Canada so my local big box options are pathetic as usual. I'm looking for an on line vendor who is willing to ship to Canada at a reasonable price.

Thank you!
This may sound a bit old fashioned but try to source or cut/dry a piece of hickory to the rough dimensions you would want your handle and lathe your own. If it is not easy to get a handle in the first place, you may as well make it a project maul. That way you can create the exact length and dimensions you want.

Reactions: DUMF and drz1050
Look for a local source so you can hand pick the handle. You want good grain, running in the correct orientation when selecting a handle. Several online sites discuss the properties that make a good handle.

This may sound a bit old fashioned but try to source or cut/dry a piece of hickory to the rough dimensions you would want your handle and lathe your own. If it is not easy to get a handle in the first place, you may as well make it a project maul. That way you can create the exact length and dimensions you want.

I like this idea. The problem is the few wood working shops in town are asking 60.00 for a price of hickory 3x3x36. It's not a readily available wood.

How would oak stand up?

I like this idea. The problem is the few wood working shops in town are asking 60.00 for a price of hickory 3x3x36. It's not a readily available wood.

How would oak stand up?
Wow! That's a bit pricey. While oak is hard, hickory is significantly harder and more springy. That is a major property that makes it a good swinging implement. It needs to be hard but also able to absorb repeated strikes and impacts. I would check into more online tool distributors to find one then. If you do end up making one, there are so many good books about how to make your own axes from bit to handle. Find a good one and use it as a reference.

Hello all.

Thank you!
Try Council Tool. They should have what your looking for.

www.househandle.com

I've bought more than a few handles from them, they have all types. Pay a little extra for the hand picked ones.

Oak is ok, but would be way down my list for an axe/ maul handle. Where hickory flexes, oak will snap.

Hickory and ash are good for handles. I've heard of locust being good as well, and don't doubt that, but I don't have any experience with one of those.

www.househandle.com

I've bought more than a few handles from them, they have all types. Pay a little extra for the hand picked ones.

Oak is ok, but would be way down my list for an axe/ maul handle. Where hickory flexes, oak will snap.

Hickory and ash are good for handles. I've heard of locust being good as well, and don't doubt that, but I don't have any experience with one of those.
Yeah, I reckon locust would add unnecessary weight and not a lot of extra resilience.

Haven't you seen a Monster Maul? just use some 1" pipe and a welder!

Last edited:
Reactions: bad news
Yeah, I reckon locust would add unnecessary weight and not a lot of extra resilience.

Most hickory species are slightly heavier than either black locust or honeylocust.

I've found good hickory handles at local Ace hardware stores and even at a flea market in the stix. I'd much rather look through a pile of them myself and find one with good grain orientation and straight grain. At the Ace Hardware by me a decent 36" axe handle is something like $12, I'm pretty sure they're 'Link' brand - and when I google them it appears they're made by Seymore. Check out this link. http://www.findpdfs.com/PDFs/LinkCatalog.pdf . I've used their handles in a couple of mauls, an axe, and a 100 year old pick axe - they've all been very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.