Source for rubber roofing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I like the idea of rubber roofing to cover my stacks and called a few roofing companies to see if they had any scraps and seemed to have no luck. For those of you that use them, where did you find them?

just had a thought about rubber roofing material. may be worth a try ,may not.
the wife works in the office of a company here in ohio that makes rubber roofing and tank liner.
they ship all over the world including the states. i use it on my truck bed. no promises but ill find out if and who they supply in your area. lol you know someone here at the manufacturer may put the word out someone needs a little material. shes out of town and will be back in a few days. ill see what i can find out for you....remember no promises other than ill give it a shot

Mine are new pieces left over from a couple of flat roofs I covered. Picked it up at Menards.

Everybody will hate me for it but I decided I wanted some of the stuff three years ago. Unbelievably an auction came up two weeks later for a local landscaper that had gone belly up and the bank was selling his stuff. One of the items listed was "pond liner" which is the same as 45 mil EPDM rubber roofing. I went to the auction and lo and behold nobody knew what that roll of black crap laying there was. Came home with a roll of 15 foot by 50 foot EPDM for five bucks.

Close to $400 worth. Plus shipping. And that stuff is HEAVY. Should last longer than I will.

BrotherBart said:
Everybody will hate me for it but I decided I wanted some of the stuff three years ago. Unbelievably an auction came up two weeks later for a local landscaper that had gone belly up and the bank was selling his stuff. One of the items listed was "pond liner" which is the same as 45 mil EPDM rubber roofing. I went to the auction and lo and behold nobody knew what that roll of black crap laying there was. Came home with a roll of 15 foot by 50 foot EPDM for five bucks.

Close to $400 worth. Plus shipping. And that stuff is HEAVY. Should last longer than I will.

now that is a post I enjoy...... I love going to yard sales and auctions and get some really good buys . Like the auction that had "looks like some sort of Wench" I bought it for $400. Fami wench in like new condition. I was going to put it on ebay for $2000 untill I used it. Now I haul all my trees out with it. Makes my conpact tractor into a working skidder. Love those great buys.
leaddog

BrotherBart said:

Everyone will hate me even more!
Spent 14 years in the waste transport/disposal/recycling biz and had literally tons of this stuff laying around that I karffed out of my dumpsters. Gave some away,wrapped hydraulic lines, put it under the wifes flower beds, under limestone walkways,cover equipment outside, over wood piles, and gave more away. Can't have enough laying around if you ask me. Has many uses.

raven said:
just had a thought about rubber roofing material. may be worth a try ,may not.
the wife works in the office of a company here in ohio that makes rubber roofing and tank liner.
they ship all over the world including the states. i use it on my truck bed. no promises but ill find out if and who they supply in your area. lol you know someone here at the manufacturer may put the word out someone needs a little material. shes out of town and will be back in a few days. ill see what i can find out for you....remember no promises other than ill give it a shot

Thanks!!

Yes they do but I think you could buy a lifetime of tarps for what it costs new.

My son is a roofer and last year he replaced a flat roof with new rubber. He cut 6' by 20' lengths and rolled them up. He even dropped them off for me. A 6' X 20' length weighs about 70 pounds.
I would find some local roofers in your area and ask them to be on the lookout for some old rubber roofing material. They should give it away so they don't have to haul it off.

Wendell , I gave it a shot and its not lookin good. next time ill keep my mouth shut look into it first. :roll:

A few years ago the Boss decided to build a new office on our plant and tear down the old one. It was a 30 X 40 with DuraLast roof!!!! Jack Pot!!!

I knew the crew was planning to demo on a monday and they would have kept it. So with permission i snuck in on sunday evening and stripped it all off there in one piece:) Used part of it for my Ice Shanty and the rest is getting ready for it's first season wood tarp!!!

Thanks, raven. I appreciate the effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.