source/ price for Euro-type draft regulator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
One of the videos posted here by Hansson several years ago shows a European type draft regulator (barometric damper), which seals in the event of a momentary pressure event in the flue- unlike the US-style that have a small opening around the edge even when closed.

I'd really like to get something like that so that when my boiler "puffs" it does not eject fly ash all around the cellar, as is the situation with my Field Controls barometric damper

I have been able to find some info, but not prices or sources- See-

http://www.kutzner-weber.de/fileadmin/kw_images/EN/Kutzner_Weber_Draught_limiter.pdf

[look especially at the z 150]

for another image:

http://www.haustechnikdialog.de/shkwissen/Images/Nebenluftvorrichtung.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.haustechnikdialog.de/shkwissen/318/Nebenluftvorrichtung&h=418&w=490&sz=18&tbnid=V0gHICQ12pyvwM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=106&prev;=/search?q=Nebenluftvorrichtung':&tbm=isch&tbo=u&zoom=1&q=Nebenluftvorrichtung':&docid=MOXuAK5TUawgGM&sa=X&ei=Mq3PTujWM8fa0QGC8dQY&ved=0CEQQ9QEwBA&dur=7577

Any suggestions for ways to get one of these in the USA without prohibitive cost/ delay?

thanks!

I would search UK boiler dealer websites. They could ship this pretty reasonably from there. I sure wouldn't try to buy this from Germany. Randy

Posting any source for these on this forum would come under the heading of public service. I'm pretty disgruntled at the cheesy quality of all the domestic baro's I've seen.

DaveBP said:
Posting any source for these on this forum would come under the heading of public service. I'm pretty disgruntled at the cheesy quality of all the domestic baro's I've seen.

+1. I would like something better than the one I got from northern tool.

It would be nice to have some type of linkage that would keep it closed when the bypass is in the open position. It would probably help reduce smoke rollout when loading.

gg

About a year or two ago I went over to Blodgett Supply in Rutland to get a demo on the Woodpecker pellet boiler and recalled that they were using a euro style draft regulator. I called them yesterday and inquired about the availability of the regulators.
It turns out that they are no longer an importer of the boiler from Ireland and a local guy has obtained the licence to manufacture the units in the US. The name of the company is WEbiomass: http://www.webiomass.com/ I spoke to the principal of the company, George Robbins and he gave me a little background on their operation.

Since he started the company, they have concentrated mostly on large commercial units and has installed a few, apparently that's where the money is. He informed me that they are now in the process of organizing the manufacturing of the units for domestic heating. They are trying to source as many US made parts as possible but advised that there would be several non US parts in the first units. He informed me that the euro draft regulator will be part of the package and he would make them available indivdually but until he gets the sourcing complete none will be available.

I was impressed with the Woodpecker unit mostly for it's automation. It's gun burner vs pot, self ignition and automated ash removal came closer to simulating the low amount of observation needed for an oil boiler, however it is accomplished with a large number of moving parts.

I just installed a barometric damper. I can see the benefits of it. The problem is just what I thought, during start-up, backpuffing through the damper. I would love to get one that can close and seal tight. Might be able to build one.

goosegunner said:
DaveBP said:

+1. I would like something better than the one I got from northern tool.

It would be nice to have some type of linkage that would keep it closed when the bypass is in the open position. It would probably help reduce smoke rollout when loading.

gg

This ability to close during initial firing and loading is of interest to me as well. This German unit (or one of the other similar models of the same make) can be had/ fitted with an electric motor to hold it closed when desired; I tend to expect that'll be ferociously expensive, but the same could be accomplished in other ways, too, and more readily with these units than with the "regular" types found here.

Thanks Fred 61 for that possible lead.

Have you tried sending a pm to Hansson? He's very helpful and offered to track down an insulation cover for my Termovar Loading Unit that I couldn't locate stateside. I bet he could get you a lead at least.

Mike

I haven't been around since Spring but this was the last thing I was working on. I ran down an importer of European boiler equipment that carried this manufacturer in New Jersey but they didn't carry the dampers.
Where this style damper doesn't let any bypass air go up chimney I was wondering if they weren't passed by UL Labs ( or whomever ) for the USA.
I would definitely like to get one too if a source can be found.
Then dump truck season came around..........

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 433
Hansson- thank you for your offer and my apologies for not replying promptly- was swept away in the various holiday preparations/ schedule.

Found out about another one that looks like an even better design than the one I'd originally posted above.

http://www.tigerholm.com/en/hvac/Draught-stabiliser-Tigex50.htm

Alas, even before shipping, these well-designed ones all seem prohibitively expensive, at least for my current budget.

Hansson, Do you get any combustion fumes passing from your draught damper?
I used the cheap American made damper. I had to remove it. It worked well, but couldn't stand the smell. I'm wondering if even the high quality dampers will work correctly on our boilers. Could be wood boilers tend to pulsate the draft and some noxious vapors will spill indoors even with the best sealing damper available.

Hansson, Do you get any combustion fumes passing from your draught damper?
I used the cheap American made damper. I had to remove it. It worked well, but couldn't stand the smell. I'm wondering if even the high quality dampers will work correctly on our boilers. Could be wood boilers tend to pulsate the draft and some noxious vapors will spill indoors even with the best sealing damper available.

No. But when I start the boiler some smoke can come out. I close the regulator for 30 sec and its fine

Did anyone ever buy or build a "euro style" regulator ? I cut in a standard regulator last year and there is no way I can survive a second year with the ash and smoke puffing back into basement during start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.