1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Sources for gas without ethanol in it

Post in 'The Gear' started by fabsroman, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Wow - seriously?...your mileage dropped while you were idling at a red light? You mean burning gas while sitting still causes a mileage decrease...I'll bet that is the ethanol! (Hint - if you're not moving, mpg is going to go down on ANY fuel, you're getting 'zero' miles per gallon at a stoplight.

It will certainly be interesting to see if ethanol becomes a thing of the past, or if sending trillions of oil dollars and thousands of jobs overseas makes our country a thing of the past first. Looking at unemployment and debit, I'm putting my money on the latter.

(Out of curiosity kettensäge - what field do you work in? Just curious of there is a 'cheaper' overseas alternative?)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    I thought of this thread when I recently read an article about a "medicinal pot growing town" somewhere out west. Article had a photo of the local general store and there was a sign by the pumps advertising alchohol free gasoline. Apparently you can run your engines and be happy about it, in more ways than one!
  3. kettensäge

kettensäge Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. PA.

Consumer product manufacturing, so yes, overseas jobs and foriegn competition is not so foriegn.

We won't agree on this, probably polar opposites on global warming too.
  4. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    Global climate change and the efficiency of ethanol versus other fuels. Both are subject to scientific validation or invalidation (don't know that either has yet been determined beyond a reasonable doubt). Having "opinions" on these is ridiculous. You might as well give the world your opinion on water freezing at 32 degrees. You're welcome to do it, but who cares? Why argue about facts that have yet to be determined?
  5. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I'm familiar with average mpg. A reading of 0 'instant' mpg from a stoplight, added to the average, will still lower it. Take four instant readings of 25mpg... 25 + 25+ 25 +25 and divide by 4 to get the average = 100/4 = 25mpg. Take the next instant reading at the stop light...25 + 25 + 25 +25 + 0 and divide by 5 to get the average = 100/5 = 20mpg. Our car seems to update the average every minute or two and usually drops at a stoplight - unless the average has accumulated so may readings the few zeros from the light don't change it by .1 mpg - or enough to register.

Kind of surprised you don't support putting money back into the american economy. Pay a farmer/truck driver/steel worker/plant worker for ethanol, they have money to buy your consumer products. Pay a saudi for oil and it's unlikely they'd come back over here and buy your stuff.
  6. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

I guess its possible but highly unlikely. Everything checks out clean on the car and I have recently replaced the O2 sensor when I replaced the exhaust system. If I am able to get real gasoline, the mileage instantly jumps right back to where it was years ago. Of course its been a couple years since I have been able to get real gasoline. But during the transition years the difference was pretty clear. My wife's previous car also saw a 10% improvement every time we bought non-ethanol gas. I don't think her current car has EVER had non-ethanol gas.
  7. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I could see there being a difference between older and newer cars for a lot of reasons. Newer cars have the ability to adjust ignition timing in order to get the perfect detonation of the fuel, older cars do not, at least not on the fly and controlled by computers.

There is also a chance that compression plays a factor here. Ethanol does poorly in low compression engines. Older engines sometimes run at lower compressions due to age, and sometimes by design.

I'm no scientist, but those two things seem to be pretty consistently seen as true by both sides of the argument. Course, compression and timing methods vary so wildly on older cars that you can't really generalize anything very easily.
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Look up the web site if you want to know Goofball....There is prof one way or another I for one dont want it in my saws and thats all that really matters, but the math has been done on every new car out there that runs e85. ;-)
    My moms word has been good enough fro me! Oh my 93 chevy s-10 could care less........Do your own math!
  9. GordonShumway

GordonShumway Member

Loc:
    Nebraska
    I also support putting money back into the American economy. For instance, it would be nice if all the laid off oil drill employees were able to go back to work. Not to forget also profiteering from our own natural resources. So put out a product like ethanol thats processed economically and drill our own oil, I would say we have a win win. Whew, what was the original question of this thread?
  10. kettensäge

kettensäge Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. PA.

Don't make this political or personal, you don't know what I support. I do what makes sense and will rather buy pure gasoline.
    I can't change world economics by preferring a certain type of fuel.
    I manage capital investment projects for my company and look to keep my plant open and operating and keep 200 american jobs in place and profitable, well as sourcing US made equipment to purchase whenever possible.

If you are a corn producer or know one, I understand but thats the nature of the beast, things change.
    What about farmers of different food crops, how are they fairing against the great corn to ethanol machine?
  11. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    If you really want to make that test scientific, let somebody else fill up the tank and keep the records while you do the driving without knowing which fuel is in the tank. We all might have a little bias one way or another about ethanol versus non-ethanol fuel. Who knows, subconsciously it might have had something to do with the results.
  12. fabsroman

Loc:
    Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have been heading up there just for ethanol free gas. I am about to make a drive up there to pick up the chimney for my new furnace. I head up that way every once in a while for other things too. Make a trip or two to Florida every year and go to Long Island once in a while too. Who knows, maybe one day I might be able to find some ethanol free gas.

For the rest of you, my cars run on gas with ethanol in it just fine. With that said, I do have a bone to pick with E85. I have seen it for sale at some of the local stations, and it is priced exactly at a price point to compete evenly with regular gasoline. That is, E85 does not provide the same gas mileage as regular gasoline, so it is priced lower. My question is why can't they actually beat the oil companies on the pricing? Why is it that they cannot out compete the oil companies with the E85? I was hoping to buy an E85 vehicle, possibly a Taurus, and save money on my fuel bill. Now, I am looking at a plug-in vehicle like the 2012 Ford Focus. Granted, I am hoping to keep my 1998 Ford Taurus running for a lot longer, but at 226,000 miles, things are somewhat touch and go.

If we really want to help out this country, keep the jobs here, and keep the environment decent, then we would be buying American made plug-in vehicles. My bone there is that these vehicles are so expensive. Of course, a million studies need to be done about plug-in vehicles. For instance, do we have the electric infrasctructure to provide for them if 25% of the population converted. Is providing that much electricity a good thing for the environment? Are the waste batteries a good thing for the environment? Can the waste batteries be recycled?

We shall see where this all goes. Next, they need to invent some decent battery powered saws, or even plug-in chainsaws. They have construction equipment that runs on batteries like saws-alls, circular saws, etc., but they cannot get chainsaws to runs on electricity that are worth anything. That would solve the ethanol issue.

Might as well derail this thread completely.
  13. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Questioning everyone's ability to correctly check their fuel mileage is a little condescending is it not, I am all for putting money back into American hands but we have to be smart about it. The way I understand the 2 stroke thing is it does not mix well with some of the oils (syn. are good) and it can have a tendency to wash the oil off of the cylinder walls.
  14. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    My understanding is that it takes as much energy to create corn ethanol that it produces so basically you gain practically nothing and increase the cost of corn as a food source.. You can thank the corn lobbyists for this one and the idiots that let the lobbyists control this country.. If you look at Brazil they have had it figured out and use sugar cane which is very efficient for alcohol production but that will not work in USA.. I have heard the best way to do it here is to grow switch grass and then you will gain from it.. E85 increases fuel consumption dramatically and you will be filling up much more often due much less mpg..

Ray
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MSE220.html - This ain't no Wal-Mart saw....
  16. fabsroman

Loc:
    According to the Stihl website, that electric chainsaw has a faster cutting speed than the MS180, which is a 2.0 bhp saw. My MS261 is a 3.75 bhp saw and I think it is a little on the weak side. Luckily, I bought it for limbing and smaller stuff and have the MS660 for the heavier stuff. I'm guessing that one day electric saws will finally be better than gas powered saws, but it won't be any time soon. Ryobi is starting to produce battery operated lawn equipment, but it still isn't as powerful as gas powered equipment. The way technology has been going, I think it is only a matter of time. The question is, how much time.