sources of free wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The City I live outside of has a place where all of the tree limbs and debris are taken for recycling/ composting. There is quite a bit of tree trunks to be had but are way to much to handle but in a pinch I have been there with my saw and maul scavaging what I can.
The Landfill usually has an area for compostable materials so you may want to check there as well.

north of 60 said:
You should consider spending $350.oo for a 4 ft x 8 ft trailer & another 100.oo fo the hitch.
For like 450.oo ,you can almost triple your payload & the trailer is so handy for larger items
like picking up a new wood stove or splitter or lawn tractor,snowblower,you get the idea, instead of paying $ to have it delivered.

I wouldn't want to be without mine as it allows me to drive a 40 mpg honda civic & still have a pick up truck load capacity.

Heck, I even put a tow hitch on the 04 toyota celica GTS, avitar, upper left.

A pickup truck (volume) not capacity. Unless you got over loads on that civic with oversized brakes and electric ones on your trailer. Ya get the idea. Just your northern mother checkin in. ;-)

How are you, buddy!!!
Glad you asked. Here are some of my wood hauling experiences with my rig.
1. class a trailer hitch, 200lbs tounge wieght, 2 in ball. trailer rated for 1000 lbs capacity,
single axil , 350 lbs empty wieght.

I usually load her to an estimated 750lbs, although a couple of times I had her up to an estimated 900 lbs. I usually go by how "low on air" the fully inflated tires look when fully loaded & always check for clearance between the botton of the fender & the top of the wheels.

Sometimes, the tires look too flat or there is no clearance between the fenders & the tops of the tires and I have to off load excessive wieght & make two trips instead of one.

I try to be careful to balance the trailer load placement so that there is 100 to 130lbs toungue wieght & most of the center of mass is over the axils.

I hope you get the the idea that electronic brakes are not required or necessary when towing under 1000 lbs, which is all that you should tow with this type of trailer & a honda civic , while the toyota celica gts is rated to tow 2400 lbs.

While we are at it, we should compair apples to apples , not apples to bananas.

So,my rig above would be similar to what you could expect to haul with a chevy S10- 4 cylinder pick up truck , not compairable to a ford F350 super duty deisel.

But then,I paid &3;,600.oo for my 98 honda last year, not $56,699.oo like a ford F350 super duty deisel twin axil crew cab.

When I tow with a good sized load on , I usually keep it down to 25 mph,if I can or 30 mph if traffic is pressing. And I watch out for bumps & pot holes. And if your not fimiliar with a honda civic,its got more pep & pull than my old 1963 slant 6 dodge dart had & almost the same hp rating. I used to tow with the dart ,too, back in the 70's. motorcycle & snowmobile pay loads, back then.

I hope you are begining to catch on that i do not BS & usually, although not always ,know what I am about , before I open my mouth/ keyboard, as the case may be, & that if I have not been there & done that , I come right out and say that I have never tried it, but it seems to me that it should work.
Thats the kind of guy I am, a straight shooter & I have the 25 and 50 yard targets to proove
it, to boot!
29 years, NRA master pistol safety instructor; do it for a part time living.

Jim Walsh said:
author="eernest4" date="1198495439
You should consider spending $350.oo for a 4 ft x 8 ft trailer & another 100.oo fo the hitch.
For like 450.oo ,you can almost triple your payload & the trailer is so handy for larger items
like picking up a new wood stove or splitter or lawn tractor,snowblower,you get the idea, instead of paying $ to have it delivered.

I wouldn't want to be without mine as it allows me to drive a 40 mpg honda civic & still have a pick up truck load capacity.

Heck, I even put a tow hitch on the 04 toyota celica GTS, avitar, upper left.

We are looking into a trailer, so where can you purchase a 4'x8' trailer with 1/2 ton payload for $350.00? A "Class A" trailer hitch is $175 properly installed + Ball.

Those poor rice burners!

*******************************************************************************Hi Jim, How you doing, Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

first, you should look to see if you can get a bolt on class a hitch that you can put on yourself
with just a socket wrench & a open end & box combo wrench. They , well some, at least, are no drilling, they allign up with existing holes in the chasis & bolt on in your drive way in 20 minutes. You just need a friend to hold it up in place, under the car, while you get 2 bolts started. After that,its a piece of cake. It is well worth paying $20 or $30 more for that type of hitch.

Also, www.ask.com search for the cheapest tow hitches. You will get a list, but if you go through them all,like I did, you will find one guy will sell it to you 40.oo or 50.oo cheaper than all the rest. IT PAYS TO SHOP HARD.!!!
As to the trailer itself, start at www.harbourfrieght.com It know they have them for $325.oo or $350.oo + ship

There are many internet sellers with similar prices, I see them often. Just an offhand chance www.tractorsupply.com

Also, www.ask.com search for fold away trailers or cheapest 4'x8' trailer or trailer kits.

Don't forget the used market, I paid $75.oo for my trailer, all assembled with floor & side boards. www.craigslist.com or www.bargainnews.com

If you buy a used trailer, have the wheel bearings pulled,inspected & greased or changed out if need be. Always care a spair trailer tire & a jack & a can of fix a flat, the one with the hose.
Do install an original bearing buddy Kit to the axil.
www.bearingbuddy.com the one with the spring tension disc in the middle.

Nothing worst that sitting by the side of the road with a blown wheel bearing on your trailer, waiting for the repair man to come back before dark, with,you hope, the wheel bearing replacement that actually fits your trailer, instead of the wrong replacement part.

Almost makes you want to carry an extra wheel bearing kit in the trunk, doesn't it.(word to the wise.)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Look for the 1000lb load rating, not all the trailers are rated that high, most are not, but you will find some if you look hard enough, so check the specs.

These are the fold away type trailer without a bed or sides, You have to buy a 3/4 pressure treated 4 'x 8' plywood sheet from the lumber yard as well as 2x 4 x8 's for the sides & may have to make your own fenders out of 3/8 or 1/2 plywood.

I try not to tow more than 800 lbs & if I must,inspect your fully inflated tires to see how flat they look under the added wieght, you might want 2 offload some weight until the tires look somewhat round again & make two trips instead. Inspect the clearance between the top of the tires & the bottom of the fenders, ther may not be any if you are too overloaded.

Never exceed the 200lb maximun toungue wieght & try to balance the load so that the center of gravity, center of mass is over the axil. Bounce on both the tongue & the back of the trailer.
You should get roughly equal movement in both places. If the tongue doesn't bounce back
readily, you have too much tongue wieght, not good for your rear shocks or the trailer.
Redistribute some of the load towards the back of the trailer & try the bounce test until satisfied that both front & rear bounce equally. Now your load is properly distributed.

ALWAYS TIE IT DOWN, AS WELL AS YOU CAN WITH AS MUCH ROPE AS YOU GOT.
Use all the rope you have with you.

WHEN I TOW HEAVY LOADS I DRIVE 25 MPH, 30MPH IF I MUST or 55 on a smooth super highway. Never start or stop fast when towing. never turn hard or fast when towing.
Watch out for bumps & pot holes.
Slow & smooth is the ticket.

600 lb cast iron stoves have been known to bounce off trailer beds & pick up beds, You pick up the many little pieces with a shovel & a broom.
Others have been there & done that. I use lots & lots of rope, instead.
One guy paid me $200.oo to straighten out all the bent sheet metal of his toro 826 snowblower when it rolled off the back of his pick up bed & hit the ground at 12 mph.
I told him not to pop the clutch , but he was stuburn & didn't listen & then it cost him.
That is what usually happens when people ignore my advise.
He only had 1 bungy cord on the snowblower & I say" Are you sure thats enough to hold it??
Aren't you even going to close the tail gate. He ignore me, now he &200;.oo poorer & I'm $200.oo richer & his snowblower runs again, saved from premature death. Took me 8 hours to repair all the damage he done & I warned him twice, before it happened.
I hope this helps.All info is true.No BS, here zone.events actually happened.

edit: almost forgot. I didnt like the fold up feature, I felt it weakened the trailer too much, so I bolted it firmly in the open position. I might have bolted a piece of angle iron across the hinge
or just put down a solid piece of plywood flooring . Can't remember, too long ago

If you build your own fenders, I just took a piece of 1/2 plywood and screwed it to the flooring of the trailer, cut out so it overhung the wheel & formed the top of the fender & then used
right angle braces from the hardware store & machine bolts for the front & rear plywood mud flap parts of the fenders with a triange piece of wood to strengthen the corners. Make sure to leave clearance to change a flat tire when installing the triangels on the corners of the square fenders.

Clearance to the tops of the tires, when the trailer springs sag under load, can be adjusted by placing the proper size board between the trailer floor & the fender top board to raise the whole fender up accordingly.

Or you could just buy a factory fender kit. I had all kinds of free plywood laying around, from my constant wood scrounging.
So, why pay $ when you can use the stuff that cluttering up your yard instead.
i save my $ to buy factory stuff for my celi GTS. Theres a nice supercharger that I had my eye on fer around a year now, boosts wheel hp from 180 to 269 & could do the qtr in 12.3
if set up properly. :lol: only cost 16k + install.
Just--Can't seem--- to--get===money--out--of pocket-- to buy it.
need==new==stove --more. aaaruug ,decisions,decisions.

Those poor rice burners can really take it & they get the job done for almost no fuel.

The honda is 110 wheel hp & will get 40 mpg highway, if u take it easy.

the celi 180 hp "could",( actually will'if only) get 30 mpg highway if you could only stop playing with it or 10mpg @ 160mph, highway@ 2 am.with no cops. I don't drive it much so i won't get a speeding ticket, too damned tempting of a pocket rocket. Goes like all hell & you look down ,your only at 2/3 gas pedel, speedo's at 158+ & tach @7000--it easily goes to 8,300 rpm where it is factory limited. My shiny red toy gonna get me in trouble some day.

Some owners remove the limiter. %-P :lol:

honda rated to tow 1500lbs & celi 2400 lbs.

Hey Ernest,

Couldn't find anything close to your prices. Trailer receiver type hitch alone ("Class A" bolt-on) $235, trailer (1300 GVW) $649.00 and these are from Northern Tool (includes shipping, no tax).

We would never consider a light duty trailer, too dangerous!

The secondary reason we were looking at trailers is that we go on kayak trips and sometimes need to bring 4-5 of them (only 3 will fit on the van).

I mostly do craigslist and freecycle, but I'm always looking/listening for tree crews working in my area. I scored a free dump truck load of red/white oak last spring. That was about 3.5 cords, and covered my whole driveway for a while, so I'm kind of limited in the volume I can handle at one time. There's a guy on craigslist in Rockville right now offering to deliver 30 cubic yard dumpsters full of logs; if full that's on the order of 5-6 cords, way more than I can take at once. Suffice to say there is no free wood shortage in these parts.

FYI... anyone near Burlington County NJ,..... this should be all red/black/white Oak

Free Wood
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-12-26, 3:51PM EST

have about 1/2 acre wooded area. Available to anyone with a lift bucket to cut various type trees. You remove tree & branches. Easy access to cutting area for a truck & bucket. Don't want any wood. I am not charging nor paying. You cut, you take...............

When I use to build houses, we cleared the lots, we took home all the wood, we had to much we would give it away, I'm in property management now and alot of the houses have wood in the garage, we don't let renters burn wood, just the fire logs, the last thing I do is clean the garage, and take the wood home, a nice benifit, just took home 3 wheel barrels of apple wood today, this is about the 8th house this year, everything counts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.