Sourse for used Chain Saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Bigwood

Dec 13, 2005
Dowling, MI
Anyone know of a reputible source for used chain saws. I look in my local classifieds and see very little in the way of saws...? Looking for Husky/Stihl for cutting my own firewood.

Hey Doc.

IMO, the best place to get a used chain saw is a chain saw dealer. They take older saws in on trade and check them out before selling them again. Any reputable dealer will back up what they sell, in my experience.

I'm a big believer in buying used saws for firewood. Professional loggers need new saws because they use them heavily and constantly. Firewood producers typically use them a couple weeks out of the year, so some of the things pros are looing for like high power to weight ratio, high reliability, etc. are less important to the average firewood guy. What I'm trying to say is that with a good used saw, you get a more powerful saw for your money. Just make sure any saw you buy has an inertial chain brake. All good saws have them. What they do is automatically stop the chain in the event of a kickback.

Something like a Husky 55 or a Stihl 038 or 041 with a 16-18" bar should be plenty big enough for the average firewood cutter. Go for a 20-inch bar if most of the wood you intend to cut is bigger wood, but you'll get more power with a shorter bar.

My Father-Inlaw has a Stihl 038 with a 16 inch bar. I am going to experiment with his saw. Hopefully experimenting will be helpful in making a decision.

Thanks again Eric

Hi Dr bigwood,

I bought my used saw on Ebay. I knew what I was looking for and waited for one to come along for the price I had in mind. My Husky 359 is great. I actually showed it to my local Husky dealer and he could not believe that mine was used. It looked brand new. I guess I was lucky in my ebay find.

I asked that same dealer and he regularly has used ones. It depends on the season. Most are trade-ins from pros, like eric said. Most prices are about half of a new one.

One word of caution. If you buy one used for half price, and it needs a few chains, new bar and some other work, by the time you add in the cost of all those, it is almost worth buying a new one. There are significant differences in prices in shops and on the internet, so shop around.

Also, here in upstate NY they have the annual Woodmens days where all the companies go all out and have great deals on everything (saws, chains, chaps, helmets, all the way up to shredders, firewoodprocessors, saw mills, and the like). Great place for a good deal (cash only!!!)

Carpniels

I was going to mention what carpniels just said. Make sure you get a new sprocket and chain on the saw if you buy it from the dealer. Try to negotiate that into the deal or pay the extra $25 and have them put on. That way you know the true potential of the saw before you go out and dull it up.

My point about getting a used saw is that you can get a bigger saw for the same money (or less) as a smaller new one.

carpniels said:
Also, here in upstate NY they have the annual Woodmens days where all the companies go all out and have great deals on everything (saws, chains, chaps, helmets, all the way up to shredders, firewoodprocessors, saw mills, and the like). Great place for a good deal (cash only!!!)

Carpniels

Keep us in mind when they next have Woodsmens days

I would road trip for a second saw
I am starting to think two may be better than one, especially when one is acting up
Running out of fuel when your on a roll stinks too

It's always the third weekend in August. The show runs Friday-Sunday. It's in Boonville, New York, about 50 miles north of the Utica exit on the NYS Thruway (I-90).

Another option for used chains saws, is your local utility company. They replace their saws every few years or when they close up a tree shop and contract out the work. I was able to pick up a 046 for $170.00 and a ms360 for $105 at a auction they had 2 years ago.

I wouldn't buy another saw off ebay. I bought a Jonsered 630 a couple of years ago and it was way way beyond used.
Its much better to heft a saw in your hands and run it first.
My father has had good luck at pawn shops. Especially high production saws like his farm boss or the ranchers, people tend to buy them not use em much.
I picked my 372 up off a logger I know. He trades saws every other year. And sold me the saw for what he'd get in trade. It was the spare saw so it really didn't have much use and I saved the saw shop markup.
The other thing to watch is if Jonsered does their 150 dollar off saw trade in sale that runs most every spring. If your friendly with a dealer he might let you pick through the trades. Mostly junk gets traded but you might find a jewel. A friend got a real nice old 266 Husky this way 2 years ago.

Eric Johnson said:
Something like a Husky 55 or a Stihl 038 or 041 with a 16-18" bar should be plenty big enough for the average firewood cutter. Go for a 20-inch bar if most of the wood you intend to cut is bigger wood, but you'll get more power with a sharp chain.

Fixst

I bought my Dolmar, 20" bar and chain in mint condition for $275 on ebay from a dealer in North Carolina.

I'd do it again if I needed to.

The reviews from saws on eBay seem to be mixed, but I would expect that. If you go that route, just look at
the feedback score, ask questions, and don't make any quick decisions. I had been watching auctions for a while
from someone in the midwest who rebuilds older Stihls and Huskys, but I picked up a used Husky 141 last month
from someone more local and so far it seems to be a pretty good saw. The guy even agreed to meet me someplace
mutually convenient and deliver it. Of course, he insisted in firing it up in the evening in a residential area just to
show me how good it runs, but thats another story.

I bought my Husqvarna 55 Rancher from a guy off of eBay about 2 years ago. I've been very happy with that purchase. Funny, used ones cost more than what I paid for mine new. Maybe I should have bought another one when I had the chance.

Not that I really need one, but I have looked at saws on eBay lately, and I honestly don't see any great chainsaw deals-not for Husqvarnas anyway. This must be the hot selling time for chainsaws.

I buy all sorts of stuff from eBay and have never had a bad experience. I even bought a small boat motor. You just have to be careful, check feedback, and read the description well. But, there is always that risk.

Got my used Stihl MS361 from a Stihl dealer, gotta say, I LOVE IT.
Its got some balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.