South Central PA - Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gengle

Has anybody from the area heard about or tried pellets from these folks? I'm going to get in touch with them tomorrow about cost and see if I can purchase a few bags for a test flight. I'll post my results (as subjective as they may be). Thanks.

http://patriotwoodpelletspa.com/

I have not used them. Your thoughts on burn quality would be very helpful. Patriot is about 10 minutes from one of our shops off of Susquehanna Trail Rd. I'm currently using premium pellets from Wood Pellets Company, they are a division of C&C Smith Lumber Co., 197 Tower Rd., Summerhill PA (near Johnstown PA) I paid 209/ton FOB at my dealers location in Ronks PA. Last night 40 lbs of them burned over 12 hours in a Harman PF100 furnace. They maintained 2,500 SF of living space @ 70 deg. w/ the outside temp @ 13 deg, little to no wind. That seems good to me, but I'm new to wood burning so I'm not sure how they measure up to other pellets on the market.

Back in 2007 we purchased a ton because we could not get pellets from any of the normal suppliers. I believe that is when they had just opened up their plant.

The pellets were very, VERY dirty. Tons of ash which caked up in the fire pot. Lots of fines in the bags too. Our stove made some horrible noises while feeding the stuff, the likes of which I had never heard before. The earthstove will eat just about anything without complaining too. I never could figure out why the stove made such terrible noises. As I recall the heat was pretty good from them though.

That was a couple of years ago obviously and they may have perfected their process by now. We have not had the need to purchase from them since but I would certainly give them another try in a pinch.

Called Patriot this morning for prices ... $200/ton - $5.00/bag. I'm going to grab four bags and try them over the weekend. I'm buring Hamers right now & just bought a ton of those @ $219 from ...

J & W Hardware Inc
1060 Old Trail Rd
Etters, PA 17319
717-938-8063

I'll post results of the Patriots. Hope they've turned things around. I'd love to support a local mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.