South jersey Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkupcha

Dec 21, 2006
Well I feel pretty lucky. Live here in Southern New Jersey and this state is pretty expensive to live in. High property taxes and expensive real estate. But there is one benefit. Pretty much in the heart of red oak country. Wood sellers are competing with each other and the price is very reasonable. I like to cut my own wood but on occasion I need to buy it. Today I got a cord of seasoned red oak, delivered and stacked for $140. Pretty happy with that. Then I checked Craig's list and found a farmer 10 miles from my house that cuts logs, drags them to the road and lets you cut your own wood for $35/cord. Now I can save time instead of driving around looking for downed trees and just go to the farm and cut away. Better than joining any gym.

35/cord??? Now I'm definitely jealous. I pay about 160/cord unseasoned and seasoned ranges from 200-250 unstacked. Lucky dog ;-)

MMMmmm.. :) oak! Actually oak is very prevelant over much of the eastern US. I just realized that there are actually 3 "red" oak species native to southeast NH including red oak, black oak and scarlet oak, all slightly different though its easy at a glance to call them all red oak and the difference between them is hard to see. Their acorns are different as are the leaf buds and some variations in bark.

Banger,
Welcome.

I saw that ad also. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

I have quite a few oaks around as well. Had to study them in school quite a bit too. If they aren't confusing enough, you can divide red even further into Northern Red Oak (Quercus rubra) which doesn't grow that much around here (near the Pine Barrens) and Southern Red Oak (Quercus falcata) which can be found. Most of my wood is scarlet, black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.