Southern Mass. firewood guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Found a firewood guy that has treated me pretty good.. His name is Ray Walsh and operates near Rehobeth, Mass. If you need wood I suggest you give him a call.. Real nice guy and his cords look pretty good.. I asked for and received mostly ash and his cords look pretty accurate.. I paid $170.00 C\S\D which is reasonable around this area.. If you are closer you'll get a better deal.. He stays in touch and calls before he heads to you and wants cash which is OK by me.. He has an old chevy with a dump body which can handle a cord at a time.. I've been run through the ringer lately so Ray (not this Ray lol) was a breath of fresh air..

FYI I am not getting paid or anything to post this just passing along a decent woodguy.. If you do call let him know Ray from Carver told you about him through Hearth.com..

His phone number is: 508-360-8668

Ray

is it seasoned or green ?

kwikrp said:
is it seasoned or green ?

Mostly green but ash seasons fast.. I know he had maple and oak too..

Ray

great price for csd but i like to process my own

Stevebass4 said:
great price for csd but i like to process my own

Hi Steve!

Long time no see (as in forever).. You are set up better than me with a big splitter so I can understand that.. Going to a coworkers house this morning less than 10 miles from me and cut and take home a bunch of oak.. He thinks he has at least 2 cords of oak he had dropped he wants to get rid of.. I'll be in very good shape woodwise after this.. Plus another coworker is gonna drop some very big oaks that I can have if I want but he is 30 mins. at least from me, dunno if I want to haul that far with my old truck (he is in Freetown).. From what he was saying these oaks are 2'+ in diameter so that may be too much work for me to load the rounds in the truck.. Better to have a tow behind splitter on a job like that and split onsite..

Ray

great news Ray!! heck maybe you could rent a splitter for a day and you'd still come out ahead

my log guy just dropped this stuff off for $40.00 so this is my game plan for the next couple of days

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

and a pic of the stuff i need to stack

IMAG0067.jpg

Stevebass4 said:
great news Ray!! heck maybe you could rent a splitter for a day and you'd still come out ahead

my log guy just dropped this stuff off for $40.00 so this is my game plan for the next couple of days

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

and a pic of the stuff i need to stack

IMAG0067.jpg

Nice Job!

Stevebass4 said:

Wow Steve that's a great deal!!! How'd you find this guy? Where town does he work from?

Ray

i agree it's a great deal - he's in walpole and his shop is about a mile from my home so it's a win win - he drops off when he has load on the way back to his shop - i found him back in spring of 08 ( i think that's when oil prices hit the roof) and he had a waiting list but i didn't care because my last log guy just disappeared and the old lo guy's price was $90.00 a cord in log length -

my first couple of loads he charged me 400 for 6+ cord when i was done with with it all but over the past two years i think because i'm now a reg customer he always drops off these sized loads for $40.00

there's a guy down the road who also burns and he suggested that i call on this guy so i went there one Saturday morning at 6:30 am before his crew was heading out - now when he drops off the loads and i make sure i am at his shop the next day just before he rolls in with cash

with these guys - they don't like to travel to far to drop off the loads so again it's a win win

Stevebass4-- you got all those logs for $40.00, dropped off!!. That has to be the wood score of the year.

Stevebass4 said:
i agree it's a great deal - he's in walpole and his shop is about a mile from my home so it's a win win - he drops off when he has load on the way back to his shop - i found him back in spring of 08 ( i think that's when oil prices hit the roof) and he had a waiting list but i didn't care because my last log guy just disappeared and the old lo guy's price was $90.00 a cord in log length -

my first couple of loads he charged me 400 for 6+ cord when i was done with with it all but over the past two years i think because i'm now a reg customer he always drops off these sized loads for $40.00

there's a guy down the road who also burns and he suggested that i call on this guy so i went there one Saturday morning at 6:30 am before his crew was heading out - now when he drops off the loads and i make sure i am at his shop the next day just before he rolls in with cash

with these guys - they don't like to travel to far to drop off the loads so again it's a win win

Yup you have a good thing and you know it.. Glad to hear it Steve.. I would buy a big splitter if I was in that situation too!

Ray

it was funny this morning when i went to pay him and he said he was sorry that some of the logs were small :lol: actually i m grateful this load is a little smaller as it's a whole lot easier to work with - and Ray you're right the only reason i got the big slitter is because of the loads he drops off otherwise i'd still be using my Ryobi splitter

i would suggest to the folks looking for log length just drive to your local tree guy and ask if they sell log length who knows - maybe you'll get the same deal

Stevebass4 said:
it was funny this morning when i went to pay him and he said he was sorry that some of the logs were small :lol: actually i m grateful this load is a little smaller as it's a whole lot easier to work with - and Ray you're right the only reason i got the big slitter is because of the loads he drops off otherwise i'd still be using my Ryobi splitter

i would suggest to the folks looking for log length just drive to your local tree guy and ask if they sell log length who knows - maybe you'll get the same deal

Drove to my coworkers house today and cut around 1/3 cord of red oak, loaded it into my F-150 then drove home and unloaded it.. Then proceeded to stack the last cord of CSD wood and I gotta tell you I am beat.. I think I will stick with CSD wood because it sure is a hellava lotta work to do otherwise!! To me it is worth the extra I pay as I have so many other things to get done...

Ray

i hear ya Ray :)

Status
Not open for further replies.