Southern pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
Been burning some pine lately as I burnt most of my oak this winter. It does pretty nice in my Hardy. I mix 2/3 pine 1/3 oak together. The pine gets hot fast and the oak gives me some coals in the morning to get everything going again.

Reactions: aussiedog3
I love the way pine seasons so quick - definitely a goto wood when you need a quick burn.

Good! So many people here in the East are afraid to burn pine, but if it's dry and burned as you are doing, it can really be a benefit.

I am in the Midwest and people laugh at me for burning pine. Watch out you will burn your house down, the sky is falling and so on. I don't care if it is White pine, red, blue, black or even the real rare one purple pine of Illinois. If it is dry it goes in the stove.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
We have a lot of longleaf pine down here - who needs fire starters, lots of heat, this stuff burns like crazy and works well with the secondary burn when dry. Dries fairly fast as well when split.

+1

More for me to burn, as I can't find an old timer that will burn it around here.

Been burning some pine lately as I burnt most of my oak this winter. It does pretty nice in my Hardy.

Good to hear! I've not burned much pine, but am going to come into a bunch of it later this spring. My father has a couple of large white pines that he wants to take down and have me haul off. I've burned some in the Jotul and a little in the workshop stove for shoulder seasons, but none in the tree-eater(Hardy) yet. Lord knows I've burned a little of everything in that Hardy over the years. :rolleyes:

we have alot of Norway Spruce up here. Dries out really fast, and with today's efficient stoves I get burn times 4-5 hours between reloading. Also, free as virtually nobody wants it.

Found a guy who had some land cleared, nobody will take the wood because it is almost all pine. It is cut into logs and stacked (the stack is 12 feet high). Got a truck bed and a trailer full today. Will go back in a few weeks when it dries up and get more. Score!!

Reactions: Seanm
Status
Not open for further replies.