Southern snow pics taken on January 10, 2011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic36

Feeling the Heat
Jan 23, 2008
Decatur, Alabama
Please ship the snow up to Maine where we could use it . . . I've got a snowmobile and only need a few more inches before there will be enough ground cover to allow me to take it out without abusing it on stumps, rocks and roots.

That's crazy you have more snow than what I have combined here in lower Michigan or at the farm in the UP.

Here's what I push snow with at the farm.

162683_1439874851828_1681757389_828748_3722257_n.jpg

162683_1439874811827_1681757389_828747_889478_n.jpg

And this is the most snow I have had at home 4"

156603_1409325768120_1681757389_769944_249557_n.jpg

Billy

The weathermen had been predicting all week that up to 8 inches of snow would fall on Sunday night or early Monday. I figured they would be wrong as usual, but they got it right this time. It's weird where I live. If anyone even hints about snow, people go crazy. Everyone makes a run on all the grocery stores and buys up all the bread and milk, businesses and schools shut down in advance-all for one day of snow.

I didn't realize the snow was scarce up north this year. Maybe it's taking a detour. We had a colder than average winter last year, and this one isn't looking too shabby either. I actually hope it continues. The past several winters have been too warm.

Ya'll got more snow than we did Nic, but we have a half inch of ice on top of the 4 inches of powder, and they are calling for more ice and freezing temps until Saturday. I dont ever remember getting so many snow events in one winter. This is the third measurable snowfall we've had this winter and they are predicting a much more severe one later this month. With the ice, I worry about the power going out for a a few days so there is plenty of wood on the portch and the generator is ready to go.

The weather people said there was a chance this storm would have been ice instead of snow. Thank goodness it wasn't. I have too many trees around me. Previous wet weather and thunder storms have already dropped plenty on the ground as it is.

Nic36 said:
I thought I would post some pictures of the snow storm that made it's way through the southeast last night. I know everyone up north is used to it, but it's a big event for us down here.

Let me hit you on the finger with a hammer over and over and see if you get used to it? lol .We don't get used to it, we just learn how to deal with it. :lol:

But we haven't had to deal with much this year! But then, we've had these type of winters before.

Cowboy Billy said:
That's crazy you have more snow than what I have combined here in lower Michigan or at the farm in the UP.

Here's what I push snow with at the farm.

162683_1439874851828_1681757389_828748_3722257_n.jpg

162683_1439874811827_1681757389_828747_889478_n.jpg

And this is the most snow I have had at home 4"

156603_1409325768120_1681757389_769944_249557_n.jpg

Billy

Hey Billy

I've been wanting to pick up a front end snow plow for my 130 and am wondering if you know the model # on your plow. Do you know if it was made specifically for the 100 series or is it the same model as for farmall cubs?

Thanks

Greebas

Good thing you left the gates open :)

Your place looks great in the snow Nic. Beautiful setting.

firefighterjake said:
Please ship the snow up to Maine where we could use it . . . I've got a snowmobile and only need a few more inches before there will be enough ground cover to allow me to take it out without abusing it on stumps, rocks and roots.

Yah NH too, havent ridden the sleds yet this year. got 0-3 inches of ice around the yard depending on the shade. grrrr

ColdNH said:
firefighterjake said:

Yah NH too, havent ridden the sleds yet this year. got 0-3 inches of ice around the yard depending on the shade. grrrr

Thanks to the blizzard two or so weeks ago we did OK . . . of course a veritable heat wave ended up eating a lot of that snow . . . but now we actually have somewhat of a base . . . around my place we really only need 6-8 inches to make the trails passable (i.e. to the point where we will not abuse the sleds by running on gravel, rocks, etc.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Well up here at the moment they are calling for 1-2 feet earlier in the day it was 19" how they nail it down that close is always good for a laugh. I must be getting old because back in the day ( an expression i really hate but whatever) nobody whined about the weather, be it snow, rain, heat this is tough yankee country just suck it up and deal with it- these days i'm a minority along with the oldtimers down to the feed store, of course at some point I'm sure they'll want to turn the feed store into a cafe with latte's. Sorry for the rant but I hate seein we ain't what we use to be, in the mean time let it snow like hell and go enjoy it.

Sounds like it's gonna build and head your way meister. We were supposed to get 6-12 but only ended up with 4-6. So off to work i go to plow the white stuff. Enjoy what's comin to ya!

Nic36, great lookin place ya have!

Thanks for the compliments. I guess a good snow will make anything look picturesque.

Hey Billy

I've been wanting to pick up a front end snow plow for my 130 and am wondering if you know the model # on your plow. Do you know if it was made specifically for the 100 series or is it the same model as for farmall cubs?

Thanks

Greebas

Its a 60" blade but I don't know the model # It fits from Super A 100, 130 and 140. And may fit a A but I don't know. The cub is different and won't fit and it came in three versions Mcormick Deering, 54 and 54a. Mine takes a lot of abuse and I constanly break and loosen bolts on it. When I get time I am going to mod the blade like this one http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48323 It makes it trip like a snowplow on a truck and you don't end up kissing the steering wheel when you hit a rock.

Billy

Here's a few rare deep-snow pics in Burgess, MS...rural Lafayette County. Been a while since I've seen snow like this...maybe as far back as the early '80s?

Attachments

• SNOW 2011 (9a).jpg
    SNOW 2011 (9a).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 149
  • SNOW 2011 (16a).jpg
    SNOW 2011 (16a).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 153
  • SNOW 2011 (14a).jpg
    SNOW 2011 (14a).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 145
Status
Not open for further replies.