southern yellow pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFord

Jun 5, 2011
central NC
anyone use southern pine in a gassification boiler? Sometimes around here it just too
easy to pass up, I have not tried any yet. Also, sometimes I will cut some down for a customer
and have to cut, and haul it away, and since I have to go that far why not split and stack it? I think
southern pine has more BTU's than poplar. I know in a stove you might to worry about creosote, but
I don't know about a gasser. I've been buning with a wood stove for 10 years and next fall will be
my first with the boiler.

No worries either in a stove or gassifier. As long as the stuff has been properly dried it will do just fine. My guess is that the gasser will love the stuff when shorter burn times are needed.

No gasser here but
Split & stack it, dry it out for a full year & the creosote issues will go away .
Might surprise you how many BTUs are in it ;)

My saying, even with Aspen/Poplar (which I stacked today) is "it's all got BTUs in it, I'll burn it".

TS

thanks! I don't care too much about burn times or anything, my boilers sole purpose is to charge my large strorage tank. I have alot of dried oak I can use if I want longer
burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.