Southern yellow pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFord

Jun 5, 2011
central NC
I cut some yellow pines down for the in-laws this weekend, about 2 cords worth and still have another 2-3 to go.
Does anyone have any experience burning it in their gasification boiler? I have to move it anyway so I am just going to split it and use it for the '15-'16 season. I am wondering if I should perhaps mix it with some hardwood or just burn it as is. I would prefer to but as is and not mix. I don't care about the btu output since I have storage, it just means I have to load the boiler a little more. Opinions?

I'd mix it. At least in my brother's and dad's older tarms they would have trouble keeping it lit. It burns out from underneath itself and bridges easy. Mine does a little better, but an entire load of pine burns hot hot hot and fast. Maybe a full load at first lighting to get the boiler up to temp fast, then mix after that to keep from overheating. You gotta be able to move alot of heat fast to keep it from going up the flue or overheating your boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.