Spare Parts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Spock

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2013
SW MA
I am a DIY guy all the way. So when it came to a pellet stove I knew I would be doing all the maintenance
and the fixing. To ensure the heat keeps coming, I purchased a few key items even though the stove is still under warranty.

ESP Probe
Combustion Fan w/Blade.
Auger Motor
Exhaust and burn pot gaskets.
Control board
Door gasket

So why do I keep spare parts? Its a bit of an expensive for sure but think of the advantages.You can get the fix on immediately. Swap in PMed motors each season. For the deep cleans, swap in clean parts to speed things up i.e. combustion/convection fan. The control board was really pricey but if the pots wear out or something else gives, swap and fix up the old board. Much, much cheaper than new especially if you fix it yourself. Plus I figure the parts aren't going to get any cheaper. Yes, some day they will fail. Ask Murphy.

I am still a very new pellet burner but I think I have my bases covered on the major fail items.

Do you keep spare parts? Which ones? Why?

Reactions: P38X2
Your hoarding/prepping. Better be careful.

Eric

Reactions: P38X2
Over the last 3 seasons I have hoarded these. Control board, Igniter, air pump, Combustion blower, Convection blower, Agitator motor, Auger motor, spare fuses, Combustion blower gasket. and POF switch. All other gaskets/seals are locally available at my hardware store.

I need the high limit switch and I should be pretty good to go.

Only had my stove installed last December had no problems at all Love the stove I think its a good idea to keep spare parts I was considering getting a few here and there when its in the budget. around how much did you spend on the parts. But i need to add my OAK first should of did more research on here before it was installed. Going to change the exhaust pipe to the Selkirk with the OAK built in because the pipe goes through the roof and i dont want to make another hole. I would think a glass and gasket would be good to have as well

I am seeing a reality tv show based on this forum.

Reactions: SwineFlue
Hoarding/Prepping?? Be careful?

Ever watch the show Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo channel. A lot of the people that were on the show have been "checked on" by the Law.

Eric

Ever watch the show Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo channel. A lot of the people that were on the show have been "checked on" by the Law. Eric
Really? Geez. I don't think Nat Geo or whomever cares about the "Heat" I am talking about ;).

Sorry but call me what you will. I can't be waitin on a dealer thats draggin his feet sayin will have it for you next week sometime. Its my only source of heat besides the wood backup and electric(shock when you see the bill) baseboard.

Good thing if I'm in a bind my buddy pelletdude will take extra good care of me. He knows its important to get me up and going pronto!

Reactions: The Ds
Comb. blower gaskets, spare (old) ignitor, feed auger, stirrer motor, misc extra door/lid/pan gaskets, original control board (1 bad button).

My bag includes keys to the store.

Funny that I just saw this thread because I have been browsing amazon for the past 15 minutes on spare parts for my stove. I figured at the least, have a spare ignitor around.

Reactions: Mr. Spock
I am a DIY guy all the way. So when it came to a pellet stove I knew I would be doing all the maintenance
and the fixing. To ensure the heat keeps coming, I purchased a few key items even though the stove is still under warranty.

ESP Probe
Combustion Fan w/Blade.
Auger Motor
Exhaust and burn pot gaskets.
Control board
Door gasket

So why do I keep spare parts? Its a bit of an expensive for sure but think of the advantages.You can get the fix on immediately. Swap in PMed motors each season. For the deep cleans, swap in clean parts to speed things up i.e. combustion/convection fan. The control board was really pricey but if the pots wear out or something else gives, swap and fix up the old board. Much, much cheaper than new especially if you fix it yourself. Plus I figure the parts aren't going to get any cheaper. Yes, some day they will fail. Ask Murphy.

I am still a very new pellet burner but I think I have my bases covered on the major fail items.

Do you keep spare parts? Which ones? Why?

I may have done it cheaper.

I got a spare stove for $500 with all good parts!
When cousins are 2 of a kind!

Attachments

• SparePartsInSpareStove.jpg
    SparePartsInSpareStove.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 140
I've got some gaskets and a weak combustion blower (original) for the furnace. Going to replace that motor and have a good spare.

That's it for parts. If the pellet furnace goes down, I can use the 6041. If that's down too, I have the wood eater. If that's broke (not sure what's going to break on that) I go to the oil furnace. If that's broke, I'll let it all freeze up and go to Florida. I don't worry much in the winter.

Now when my central AC unit vomited up some parts this past summer on a 103 degree day, I was SOL and that sucked, so I can definitely understand having parts around.

Reactions: Mr. Spock
2011 BF ( before stove) lost power for one week due to an October nor'easter. I used to take heat for granted, not any more.

2011 BF ( before stove) lost power for one week due to an October nor'easter. I used to take heat for granted, not any more.
What are you using as backup power for your stove now? I can't decide between a battery hookup or getting a sine wave ups to clean up the power out of my generator.

All I have for parts is a spare fuse......and another P38 in the basement ;):p

I'm also a DIY guy. I need to find out which failure prone components aren't compatible between my stoves and order em up. Not in a big rush as I have a propane fireplace insert and I ain't skeerd to run the boiler for a couple days in an emergency. During the ice storm in 09, or whenever it was, that propane fireplace saved my ace. This was before either of my pellet stoves were hooked up at this house. Bought a generator the day the power went out. Waited at HD for 8 hours for them to arrive. At the time, I only used it to power my coffee pot, charge my cell phone, a few lights and for a box fan I rigged up to act as a convection blower for the fireplace. I still haven't wired it into my panel :(

What are you using as backup power for your stove now? I can't decide between a battery hookup or getting a sine wave ups to clean up the power out of my generator.

My backup solution starts third pic down on this post:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/show-off-your-stove.102613/page-3#post-1322952

FYI...Most UPS's wont condition power in terms of fixing THD on the line. They are intended to cover brown out (low/no votage) or filter spikes (surge suppression). Power conditioners that fix THD are generally very very expensive. I have never had issues running appliances or sensitive devices like computers off my Generac. If your Gen model is capable of supplying power with harmonic distortion around 5% or less under load, I wouldn't worry about it. Same as grid.

I may have done it cheaper.

I got a spare stove for $500 with all good parts!
When cousins are 2 of a kind!

In IT we cal that setup, "Full Redundancy". Just like saying it. :p. Maybe cheaper...two mouths to feed?

In IT we cal that setup, "Full Redundancy". Just like saying it. :p. Maybe cheaper...two mouths to feed?

Using each one half the time makes them last twice as long. Better than just rotating tires!

ESP Probe Combustion Fan w/Blade. Auger Motor Exhaust and burn pot gaskets. Control board Door gasket​
Spock....Spare parts?....I'll get you some sheet metal and you can make a whole new stove!!!

Reactions: SwineFlue
Status
Not open for further replies.