Spare Parts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spock....Spare parts?....I'll get you some sheet metal and you can make a whole new stove!!!

Curious. The harman XXV manual lists over 50 parts but is notably incomplete. Regardless, it appears that main structures in a pellet stove are in fact sheet metal and do indeed account for a majority of the stoves internal structure and to a much smaller degree some of its moving parts. However analysis strongly indicates your offer of sheet metal combined with my spare parts would not be sufficient, as you state, to make a whole stove. Additionally material requirements aside, the absence of fabrication tools combined with your offer presents challenges that would be difficult if not impossible to overcome.

Reactions: jtakeman
Curious. The harman XXV manual lists over 50 parts but is notably incomplete. Regardless, it appears that main structures in a pellet stove are in fact sheet metal and do indeed account for a majority of the stoves internal structure and to a much smaller degree some of its moving parts. However analysis strongly indicates your offer of sheet metal combined with my spare parts would not be sufficient, as you state, to make a whole stove. Additionally material requirements aside, the absence of fabrication tools combined with your offer presents challenges that would be difficult if not impossible to overcome.

I got a big hammer and some spare time to kill! :p

Reactions: Mr. Spock
Hmm... I expected more folks would keep a few common fail items handy for one reason or another. Proud to be a pellet pig but no ready when Murphy visits? Seems odd to me.

My backup solution starts third pic down on this post:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/show-off-your-stove.102613/page-3#post-1322952

FYI...Most UPS's wont condition power in terms of fixing THD on the line. They are intended to cover brown out (low/no votage) or filter spikes (surge suppression). Power conditioners that fix THD are generally very very expensive. I have never had issues running appliances or sensitive devices like computers off my Generac. If your Gen model is capable of supplying power with harmonic distortion around 5% or less under load, I wouldn't worry about it. Same as grid.

Unfortunately my generac has a harmonic distortion of 5% or greater. I bought it simply in a rush to prevent my basement from flooding, so my mentality at the time was to just make sure the sump pumps have power. Thanks for your input on the UPS route, it's something I wasnt sure about and was going to purchase a few units to try. I'm also considering getting rid of my generator and picking up a Honda inverter generator, though that is a pricey option. The battery route would be the cheapest, but also a hassle.

Battery would be the cheapest route maybe. Depends on how long you want to keep the stove running. But Keeping it charged and the safety/maintenance considerations can be a deal breaker.

If you want plug and play UPS is the way go but it won't run the stove for long periods of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.