Spark Arresting Screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm checking these tonight on the 310 & 390, what is the best way I can clean them if needed?

Zap

You pulling the muffler?

Highly recommended a t27 T-handle to remove. After putting it back on get the saws hot and tighten them down again.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
You pulling the muffler?

Na, just the cover for the spark arresting screen. Page 43

http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/MS290_310_390_Manual.pdf

Zap

Brake dust cleaner would be quick be careful with that, or Air compressor small wire brush.

Not offten

Thanks Smokin, I'll go with the small wire brush and air compressor. How often do you check yours?

Zap

you can kinda tell you your starting to lose power a little and you start seeing a little more smoke than normal.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
You pulling the muffler?

Zap

Brake dust cleaner would be quick be careful with that, or Air compressor small wire brush.

Not offten

Thanks Smokin, I'll go with the small wire brush and air compressor. How often do you check yours?

Zap

Smokin here are two pictures right after I snapped the bolt off and before I cleaned it. Never took the after picture.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3237.jpg
    100_3237.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_3238.jpg
    100_3238.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 223
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1308686056 said:
You pulling the muffler?

Zap

Not offten

Zap

Smokin here are two pictures right after I snapped the bolt off and before I cleaned it. Never took the after picture.

Zap

Not enough to choke it but as you can see that air flow had to be slow down some what. Very fine screen I might add.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1308686276 said:
smokinjay" date="1308686056 said:
You pulling the muffler?

Zap

Not offten

Zap

Zap

Not enough to choke it but as you can see that air flow had to be slow down some what. Very fine screen I might add.

That is the original screen, bought the 310 in the summer of 2008 and this is the first time checking the screen.

Zap

If you are not cutting in a govt forest where spark arresters are required, just remove them. I've been around power equipment for 50years that did not have them in place and have never seen any fires started because if it. I know a number of folks that remove them the day they get the tool. Just my $0.02
Tom

:lol:
jensent said:
If you are not cutting in a govt forest where spark arresters are required, just remove them. I've been around power equipment for 50years that did not have them in place and have never seen any fires started because if it. I know a number of folks that remove them the day they get the tool. Just my $0.02
Tom

I put one in my ported 460....Only an issue in dry conditions but dont want to be the guy who started the fire! just my .000002.

Status
Not open for further replies.