Spark Arrestor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CentralVAWoodHeat

Minister of Fire
Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
I heat our home with a Jotul F400 and burn about 5 cords of wood annually. We had such problems with critters in the stove pipe even during burning season if the fire goes out for a day during a warm spell. I put a spark arrestor over our cap to solve the issue. Our sweep, who is licensed and highly experienced, says keep the spark arrestor on all the time. Our stove store guy says it will clog. I'm two months into the heating season and so far everything is fine, no signs of build up at all. My plan is to keep it on and simply check it during our annual cleaning. Thoughts?

If your having problems with pests even after a day of say leave it on. But check it weekly to make sure your draft doesn't suffer. Burning practices determine how fast if at all it will clog

I have had a spark arrestor only ever clog once and that was due to poorly seasoned wood and long duration between cleanings. I would install it. If you start burning poorly (not drafting, smoke coming into room) just walk outside with some bino's and take a look at it. Doesn't take much to clean.

Reactions: English BoB
Is it a spark arrestor or is it just a screen? Spark arrestors are 1/4" mesh animal screens are usually 3/4" expanded metal screens. Spark arrestors clog pretty easy. Screens usually don't clog to fast if you have dry wood and good burning practices

Reactions: Highbeam
Is it a spark arrestor or is it just a screen? Spark arrestors are 1/4" mesh animal screens are usually 3/4" expanded metal screens. Spark arrestors clog pretty easy. Screens usually don't clog to fast if you have dry wood and good burning practices
I stand corrected. I have a screen.

It's a spark arrestor. Good idea-I didn't even know animal screens existed. We were just sold the spark arrestor as a solution to the pest problem. Any recommendations on one? Thanks!

I feel silly. I just came home and checked the paperwork on it. It is a spark arrestor but the dimensions are 1/2" by 1" diamond shape. Much bigger than I thought, it just looks small from down here. I should be good for a years worth of clean burning then.

I feel silly. I just came home and checked the paperwork on it. It is a spark arrestor but the dimensions are 1/2" by 1" diamond shape. Much bigger than I thought, it just looks small from down here. I should be good for a years worth of clean burning then.
As long as your wood is dry and you burn correctly then yes probably. And btw that is not a spark arrestor. We do work in and near state forest and parks and they require spark arrestors and that needs to be 1/4" mesh. It clogs fast

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks, bholler. I really appreciate the info considering your qualifications there. It's good to know that what they are marketing as a 'spark arrestor' doesn't really cut the mustard. I've seen 1"x1" mesh caps. Do you think it would be worth going to something like that or should we just stick to the 1/2"x1" considering we do burn pretty dry mixes of hardwood and the occasional pine. Fires are most always hot and active. I never let it smolder or want for oxygen.

Thanks, bholler. I really appreciate the info considering your qualifications there. It's good to know that what they are marketing as a 'spark arrestor' doesn't really cut the mustard. I've seen 1"x1" mesh caps. Do you think it would be worth going to something like that or should we just stick to the 1/2"x1" considering we do burn pretty dry mixes of hardwood and the occasional pine. Fires are most always hot and active. I never let it smolder or want for oxygen.
That is the standard size for cap screen some people have problems even when doing everything right but most of the time there is no issue at all. And beleive me you dont want an actual spark arrestor. They need cleaned 3 or 4 times a year minimum

That is the standard size for cap screen some people have problems even when doing everything right but most of the time there is no issue at all. And beleive me you dont want an actual spark arrestor. They need cleaned 3 or 4 times a year minimum
When you say standard size, you are referring to our 1/2x1 not the 1x1, correct? Huge thanks for all this information. I have been worrying about this recently and it is good to get input from someone who has more knowledge.

When you say standard size, you are referring to our 1/2x1 not the 1x1, correct?

the 1/2 by 1 well what we usually use is about 1/2 by 3/4 but it is probably the same

I wanted a post a near end of burning season update. First, thanks to you all who gave me advice at the beginning of the season on the screen.

Almost into March now, I have burned 3 cords of wood. I have been monitoring the screen with binoculars and there is absolutely zero buildup. In fact, it is still shiny silver like the day it was purchased. When I get up there to clean the chimney in a month or so I will take a picture of the screen and post it.

Moral of the story, if you burn dry, seasoned wood correctly, you shouldn't be worried about clogging your cap screen up within a single season.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: baseroom
Moral of the story, if you burn dry, seasoned wood correctly, you shouldn't be worried about clogging your cap screen up within a single season.

That's your experience but many of us that burn full time found the screens very easy to clog despite burning dry, seasoned, wood correctly. My oem Simpson wire screen was about 1/2" squares and would clog with brown crunchy junk several times per year. The rest of the flue was very clean.

Bigger holes are better of course but unless you have a problem with wildlife, the screen can only hurt you.

The screen can be a good barometer of firewood moisture and flue temps. We burned for 6 yrs with the cap screen in place with no issues at all. Then a few seasons back I had to burn through a couple cords of 2 yr seasoned soft maple that got damp. The screen clogged within 2 months of burning. So glad that wood is long gone now and we are back to normal dry wood burning.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Status
Not open for further replies.