Spark Screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, with a new little one that is gonna be crawling this winter, need to think about a spark screen..Really, I jsut need something to keep her from crawling up to/touching the stove..I ahve an Avalon Olympic and never burn it open..Any ideas?? I have one of those prefabed American Hearth Pads.

KIdco makes a nice child saftey gate setup.

but will it melt

havent had one melt yet we sell a bunch

ok..I was online and see them..exactaly what I need..Where can I get one in Upstate NY?? How much do you sell them for?

I have made two very large and somewhat ornate "screens" out of steel. One was a wrought iron railing design with vertical twisted square stock alternating with solid. The next was spec'd by a friend as a series of frames filled with 3/4" expanded steel and a metal elk silhouette. Both were heavy and were welding projects. The substantial nature of them made them more appealing to the eye. The mesh made anything more than fingers impossible to stick past the gate where my bars prevented going past the armpits.

This last year I moved to a house with a woodstove insert. I didn't build anything for a screen and don't plan to. They know what hot is. They being the girls, aged 14 months and 4.

I worried most about the extremely hot glass.

kidco G70 5section with gate 182.95

We have a Kidco gate installed around our stove. Had it there before the little one started crawling. It is about 16" from the stove. When placing it we measured our three year old nephew's arm from finger tip to sholder and it was 12"-13". Figure by 3 or 4 our daughter will know better than to reach in towards it.

With the stove ripping the hardest it did all winter, the hotest point was in front of the door glass. It was hot to the touch. Hot enough that you could hold for a couple seconds and realize that it was hot but not so hot that you'll get a burn. The rest of the gate was warm to very warm.

Worked out great and easy to remove from the mounting plate when I need better access to the stove.

http://www.happymothers.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=pricegrabber&sku=KID670 - $169
http://babyride.stores.yahoo.net/g70.html - $174

Attachments

• 102_4279.JPG
    102_4279.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 272
FWIW, our neighbor would only burn his stove once his two young ones (1 and 4) had gone to bed. Then this winter necessity struck, we had week long power outage. He had to burn 24/7 and amazing, the kids understood hot pretty well. No one got curious, too close or burned and now he doesn't worry about it. Methinks at times we try to coddle the next generation too much. What would your grandparents have done?

BeGreen said:
FWIW, our neighbor would only burn his stove once his two young ones (1 and 4) had gone to bed. Then this winter necessity struck, we had week long power outage. He had to burn 24/7 and amazing, the kids understood hot pretty well. No one got curious, too close or burned and now he doesn't worry about it. Methinks at times we try to coddle the next generation too much. What would your grandparents have done?

Grandparents would probably have encouraged junior to touch with finger tip, learn what hot is... Smart kids will only need one lesson - the slow ones might need two... Probably best if lesson applied during "shoulder season" when stove is burning fairly low, as opposed to full bore during winter. (IMHO small area first degree burns, possibly even second, are not a big deal...)

Gooserider

We had our kids at campfires while still in the newborn raisin stage. I think it has more to do with whether you let the kids run laps and do kart wheels around the house and stove than them just randomly falling into it. I am just as likely to fall into it by mistake as my kids. My little gilrs both know hot! They also like the feeling of being near a hot stove just like their dad. A little touch might not be a bad idea Goose, I might actually do that when the stove is relatively cool just so they get that feeling "burned" into their memory.

My two kids have grown up around the insert and they know when it's hot or cold and when not to touch it. The youngest tried grabbing the little tray that extends off of the front below the door on my Quad once. It wasn't hot enough to burn him but was hot enough to let him know it wasn't safe. He hasn't gone near the stove again when it's hot.

Kids are a lot smarter than people give them credit for. You may not really need a gate or a surround if you don't burn it with the door open.

well I agree with everyones Point of view but its the learning to walk or hobbling around stage and falling into it that scares me..TIs worth the $200 for me to not ahve my kid get burnt

The gate also makes for a great place to dry towels.

The gate also makes for a great place to dry towels.

AND HANG STOCKINGS AT christmas time since we dont technically have a mantle!

Also to lay on your back with your feet up on it to warm your toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.