sparkles in the secondary burn??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Never seen this before. like the aroura borealis. External temp of stove was just under 200 and I was starting to close the bypas to trap some heat in there and get the temp up. I noticed a strong secondary burnrolling across the ceiling of the stove and then I noticed come crazy burning dots in the burn. Some were sparkly and some were dark orange and turning bright blue. the load was mostly oak with one piece of gum. Anyone ever seen anything like that??? I wanted to take a picture but my wife had the digital camera. my cellphone cam didn't do it justice.

I have been trying to logically figure it out and the only thing I can figure is that before I got home from work, the kid put a lone piece of wood on the dieing coals and closed the door without giving it enough air, so it smoldered for a while. Maybe some smoke deposited on the inside surface of the stove and when I loaded it back up got things burning again, the heat and combustion gas activity inside the stove dislodged some of the deposit particles and they fell into the secondary burn cloud and "burned up on reentry".

I really wish I could have photographed it. it was COOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.