Sparkles!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Now and then a log will spit and pop, sometimes throwing an ember.
I'm guessing some pocket of moisture in the wood maybe?

Anyway, last night I was burning some rounds of standing dead something...not sure what as the bark was gone and I don't recognize the grain.
I put a new piece on a fairly hot coal bed and while the door was still open from loading, the thing just started throwing the coolest white sparkles out!

The were very small, and only traveled 12-18 inches before dying out, but there were an easy couple hundred of them, quite a show!

I'm not worried about them, but am curious to know if it might be something in the wood, or on the wood, as it would be neat to do again (with camera ready this time!)

Thanks.

Rob

I had the samething the other morning from a piece of hegde the night before. It was throwing so many sparks that when I closed the door they started coming thought the air vent.

Yeah, hedge will do that....

Was the wood a bright yellow color when first cut then turning to orangish red after a few weeks of being cut?

I thought that was Termite Terds !!!! hmph

I find thaat hedge, locust, and sasafrass all contribute nicely to the light show when the dooe is opened.

I've heard mulberry does this as well, but haven't burned any - not to common around here. Sounds like a fun show! Cheers!

Thanks for the thoughts!

No, it wasn't hedge.
The rings and end grain look like Pine, but it is heavier than pine.

Sand is a pretty reasonable guess.
Silica sand maybe?
We have horsetails growing around that have silica sand that grows or otherwise ends up inside the stems.

Rob

I only have that happen when I have chunks in a softwood coal bed. Disturb them and the show/shower begins. I hadn't put a burn spot in the carpet in front of the stove in twenty five years and one those suckers popped out and did it last season.

I get a split that does that every once in a while. Always oak,....I think.
It's a little unnerving when the door is open. Like a little fireworks show in the stove.

shawneyboy said:
I thought that was Termite Terds !!!! hmph

Yup. That's what is is.

Speaking of light shows...

Last night I brought some more wood inside, and stoked the the stove. I came up one stick short on wood that was inside already so I put a piece from outside in. It had a little snow on the end, probably a little damp etc. After a while it started popping occasionally. Then one of them popped hard enough that a piece made a loud "ting" on the glass. I had to check and make sure it didn't crack it.

Mulberry will do that-it's when the air hits moisture pockets like you originally said. It can get quite wild at times too!

Osage is another contender for the sparkler show. You even get tiny little "bangs" as the sparks go off. Kind of fun in a Lilliputian way.

Sassafrass is the loudest, popping wood I have seen. Although you do not hear near as much in a stove. That is one thing I miss about the old fireplace. Although and occassional pop would put some sparks on the floor, even passing through the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.