Sparks and ash buildup in and from exhaust pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenmichele

Jan 8, 2011
ny
Hi, I was outside shoveling tonight and noticed a couple small sparks flying out of the exhaust pipe. Is this normal? im also having a larger than what i feel normal buildup of ash in the pipe too. I try to clean it out every month with the lint eater but Im just wondering why it builds so much so fast?? Thanks for any advice!!

woodsman23 said:
OH NO sparks from the pipe again... mac you take over!!!!
Too Funny...
Anyways. Let me guess... Do you have a short Horizontal Pipe run? Straight out the back of your stove?

woodsman23 said:

Could it be....."Sparks from the Pipe", version 3.0? Where's Slickplant???

Sorry Mikenmichele....this reminded us of a post a few years ago....very funny. :lol:

Anyway, unless there is a lot of very flammable grass or something directly under it, don't be too concerned. If you're worried, get some paving stones, slate, or something like that to put under it.

Buildup could be excess due to the ash content in
the pellets. May try another brand and see if there's
any less?
and welcome to the forum mikenmichele

Sheesh, the manners on the guys in here. :lol:

Or a "Sparks Bucket"!! LOL. Sorry that was a joke. As imacman said, as long as you followed all clearances to combustibles from your PL pipe. You should be fine. I put pavers around mine. The 1st year I burned, they scared me too. My vent terminates almost 4ft above ground level. Way above minimum clearance. Should be fine.

LOL Thanks guys. Im sure I was just a little over concerned! My pipe is a 7 ft rise to a 90 elbow out the foundation with another 18-24" and then a 45 pointed downward. Pellets are currans for the warmer weather. They seem to build quite a bit of ash in the stove!!

imacman said:
woodsman23 said:

Could it be....."Sparks from the Pipe", version 3.0? Where's Slickplant???

Sorry Mikenmichele....this reminded us of a post a few years ago....very funny. :lol:

Anyway, unless there is a lot of very flammable grass or something directly under it, don't be too concerned. If you're worried, get some paving stones, slate, or something like that to put under it.

Or install one of these, part# 3PVP-TRSHCN

IMG_20101027_173332.jpg

I think pook has those for sale on ebay now?

Status
Not open for further replies.