sparks comeing from vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derrickp

Dec 7, 2007
Western New York
I have a Lopi Yankee pellet stove. Recently I was outside while it was running and it was dark out. I notice a few "orange sparks" coming from the vent pipe(vent pipe comes through the wall)

I never noticed it before, but I rarely go on the outside on that side of the house when it is dark and the stove is running.

Is this normal? More important is this dangerous?

I went over and watched it happen and it seems to coincide with when the pellets fall from the hopper into the burn pot.

Shortly after coming out of the vent pipe the orange sparks die out.

When I am on the inside it appears when the pellets fall into the burn pot these orange sparks are kicked up on the inside, which seem to be drawn outside.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Derrick

Also it is only a few sparks 1-4 each time the pellets fall from the hopper into the burn pot.

Your vent must go right out the back? This is normal for this type of install. Make sure you meet all the vent clearances (to plants and the ground) and it should be fine.

I've seen sparks with a tee, three feet or vertical pipe, an elbow and a vent cap. Sparks don't mean he's straight out the back, that's for sure.

Generally, not dangerous. They are almost always dead by the time they hit the ground. But keep an eye on it, if it seems excessive consider adding a little more vertical pipe or perhaps a tee, if you don't already have one.

Thanks for the info guys.

It is a corner setup with and elbow, 3 1/2 ft pipe between inside the house coming off of the elbow and outside the house, with a vent cap on the end.

Yes it goes right out the wall, no vertical pipe. It meets local code.

It doesn't have any plants or other items anywhere near it.

We have a setup like this, but our Nikko Blue Hydrangeas are below it. Last year these were the plants with the most blooms ever! The warm environment created from the exhaust outlet must have preserved the buds on the ends of the plant that would normally freeze and die in an Upstate NY winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.