Sparks out the vent pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemms

Oct 18, 2006
Edgar, WI
OK, we just got out new pellet stove installed, evnted, and burning... We direct vented it out the esterior wall.
We are having some sparks coming out of the vent pipe. Is that normal/okay?

Thanks...

Lemms said:
OK, we just got out new pellet stove installed, evnted, and burning... We direct vented it out the esterior wall.
We are having some sparks coming out of the vent pipe. Is that normal/okay?

Thanks...
Pretty normal especially at startup.... This is why clearances are important on the discharge height, theres alot of leaves on the ground right now. The sparks should die out more and more after startup though :)

What is the flame height? Is this happening when more pellets drop into the burnpot?

How's she running in general? Are you toasty?

Flame height is about 2-4 inches above the burn pot. I just noticed the sparks at the startup and occassionally throughout the burn process.
In general she seems to be running fine. Set the thermometer at 70 and am enjoying the heat. The wife still has a blanket on though... :)

Sounds like normal operation to me. I'll leave it to the two of you to increase the heat ;-)

Normal
and one of the reasons we do not directvent pellet stoves

Alright guys, thanks for chiming in. I just wanted to verify that the sparks were okay/normal, before we considered the install complete.
Hearthtools, We are going to see how the direct vent goes this winter, but we may end up running it out the roof next summer, and using the hole in our wall for an outside air kit. I think that we are going to leave it direct vented for this winter though...

Two things
If you are Direct venting I would have outside air NOW!
this will help keep LESS smoke backing into the home when the power goes out.

"we may end up running it out the roof next summer, and using the hole in our
wall for an outside air kit"

Why cant you keep the stove Going out the wall and then go up?
like some of the photos on our install page
http://www.hearthtools.com/install/pellet.html

hearthtools said:

No offense, but because I think it looks like crap. Like I said...No offense.
I just don't like the look of pipe running up the outside of the house. I think
it looks better with black pipe running through the ceiling inside the house.
Why do you recommend the outside air kit with direct vent as compared to a
verticle vent? Is it just the smoke issues in case if we lose power, or are there
other reasons?

Lemms said:
hearthtools said:

No offense, but because I think it looks like crap. Like I said...No offense.
I just don't like the look of pipe running up the outside of the house. I think
it looks better with black pipe running through the ceiling inside the house.
Why do you recommend the outside air kit with direct vent as compared to a
verticle vent? Is it just the smoke issues in case if we lose power, or are there
other reasons?

The smoke back it the the Main reason for out side air and most Manuals have Requirements to put outside air if you direct vent.
But in smaller print some recomend you DO not directvent for best performance

As far as pipe out the wall and up
in most cases it will put the stove 12" closer to the wall and look cleaner by not haveing the pipe showing in the house where you want it to look good.
I dont live outside or the neibors house looking at my house so I dont have to look at the pipe outside.
You can paint the pipe on the out side aslo with house paint or build a chase to cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.