Speaking of Craigslist...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I just picked up another ok load of logs from a listing!!! That makes 7 ranger loads this year!!!

Thats great man...guess I should get off my dead a$$ and get some wood collecting done!

Mine is out of neccessity, I would not have had enough if I had not grabbed a few loads!!!

Good for you in getting 7 loads of free wood. I have looked on craigslist but haven't found any close yet. Will keep looking.

I put a wanted add on CL, just got an email that a 45 ft oak went over and he wants someone to get it...darn work getting in the way of wood!!!

I just got another offer to get paid to remove a white oak from a development. Probably 24 inches at the base. I like getting paid to get firewood.

You beat me with the paying gig!!! I am going after work to start on the oak, saw is in the truck. I wonder if it is just me or if there will be 27 guys there?

Is it just me or do you really have to be the early bird to get the worm with craigslist. The free stuff really goes fast. I went and picked up a truckload of split mulberry this morning and I was there an hour after the ad was put in. the guy said he had 3 more people coming out so I left enough for others. I have picked up about 6 truckloads so far and there were plenty of times I got there or called/emailed too late. It seems that everyone is catching on to craigslist poplularity for this type of service. Anyway, I'm not about to complain, 6 truckloads of free wood will keep my family warm next year.

You hit the nail on the head. With the fear of rising heating oil and all the other sources to heat the home people are panicking. Heck, a cord of oak delivered in WI by me is almost 300 bucks... The pellet guys that keep saying the price will not increase are living in a dream world. I used to only grab oak and hickory...now its anything within reason. I have some great maple that was cut to length for 2 years in a guys back yard that I split and it will definietly be ready this year. Now I am grabbing the less sought after because I know it will dry by winter. With knee surgury I am really behind in the wood levels. I can say that I have enough for this year and maybe some going into next year...I was a year ahead cut split and stacked so I am playing catchup. 6 cords will make me thru the winter!

You can say that again!

You can say that again!!

Scored the load of oak today!!! Wow, when the guy said 45ft oak I think he meant width cause this is a monster! I filled the ranger 90% full and stopped because of the weight and it barely made a dent on the lower branchs. I have probably 4plus cord there. Any of the experts wanna give me an estimate of a say 40 inch red oak trunk and branchs?

Rockey said:
Is it just me or do you really have to be the early bird to get the worm with craigslist. The free stuff really goes fast. I went and picked up a truckload of split mulberry this morning and I was there an hour after the ad was put in. the guy said he had 3 more people coming out so I left enough for others. I have picked up about 6 truckloads so far and there were plenty of times I got there or called/emailed too late. It seems that everyone is catching on to craigslist poplularity for this type of service. Anyway, I'm not about to complain, 6 truckloads of free wood will keep my family warm next year.

Yep. In addition, it helps to have somone cool on the other end of the phone/email.

I emailed on a ad for free pine logs 15 minutes after is was posted. The next morning the guy emails me with the details and asked what time I would show. I met up at the end of that day (most people are first come first serve), and he asked how much wood I wanted. I pointed at the Volve wagon and told him I can only take a little at a time, but if he was patient, I would take all he had. At this point, he points down a hill (apparently his property is 5x what I thought) at a sh*tload of 18-20" rounds bucked 16-18" sitting in the open and asks if I want those too. I'm thinking these are going to be a bear to roll up this steep hill, when he also points out that there is access from the bottom of the hill (gravity is suddenly my friend). So this Saturday I've got a coworker showing up with a Dodge HD2500, trailor, and my trusty wagon.

He pulled the ad so I can get all the wood. That just doesn't happen around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.