Speaking of Pine...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Just recieved my first call to pick up wood. 6 cord of 8' logs, not more than 3 miles away. And I just talked to this guy yesterday. So my flatbed will hold a 3'x6'x10' load, and my trailer will go 5'x4'x8'. How many trips will it take? This quiz is not mandatory, unless you wish to pass the class. ;-)

ok, i'm a newbie but i'll play ;)

6 cord = 768 cuft

340 cuft per load capability

2 and 1/4 trips (just a tad over).

ETA:

Or two trips w/ the full rig and a last trip w/ just the flatbed.

Did I get it right?

You're on the right track, but since this is log length and not split, the volume is different, but I don't remeber the ratio. It seems like it was around 180 CF of log about equals 128CF of split, but I don't remember. Can someone chime in on this? BTW- quercus, welcome to the forum, you're screwed now! :lol:

Shoot. Screwed? Like those screw log splitter deallies? ;) Thanks for the welcome.

Ok, yeah, I thought about log length issue, but not knowing the diameter or total number of logs, I don't know how it could be determined. Or weight for that matter. Need something more to go off or ???

Pine is generally straight so it should pack in quite well with little air space. The rule of measure is that a cord is a cord in whatever form it is in. If you are getting logs, a 4'x4' stack of 8' logs is a cord. It has nothing to do with what it stacks out to after splitting.

The 180 cu ft cord rule is with regard to bulk loaded splits.

Thanks for the clarification LLigetfa. The stack is roughly 4' high x 26' in length. The logs are cut to 6'-7' length. Diams. range from 4" on the small side, to 16" for the larger ones. I'm guessing anywhere from 3.5-5 cord. Still gonna take 3 trips minimum I think. But this is the first batch. The way this guy talked, if I can take the wood within a week of cutting, I'm golden all summer, and next, and..well as long as he's in business. My goal is 25 cord by August. But I have a bunch of buddies I'll turn onto this source, if it works out. We'll see.

I think most commercial tree service guys' main concern is getting the wood moved out fast. If you can get there when he needs you to be there, and not make a mess, you'll probably have a constant wood supply. I'd make sure to show up whenever you can, and warn him when you can't so he isn't counting on you.

Wood Duck, I agree completely. I've got three trucks and two trailers lined up to make it gone this afternoon. Worst case will be grabbing a 7 or 10 ton flatbed from work. Don't want to do that unless neccessary, 'cause the beds are almost 4' off the ground.

Everybody loaded up, and there's still half left. Tomorrow. All 6" to 12" logs, and green- not Beetle-Kill. That's a shame, 'cause they were'nt even flagged as "Hot" trees. They were cleared for new construction. Tonights load works out to 1.6cord, truck and trailer combined. Oh yeah, hauling that much weight over 11K elevation was NOT pleasant. My 454 maxed out at 40mph. And downhill cramped up my right calf from braking. Oh joy, oh happy day!

Status
Not open for further replies.