Speaking of stoves made for hardcore wood burners.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
I'm reading over the Quadrafire 3100 ACC manual and I'm seeing a lot of differences in the control scheme versus the previous generation. I think its interesting that they brought the timed start-up air to make things easier, but have now added an additional air control.

Three air controls

Airwash air control - Located on the top right side of the side, this air control determines the amount of air entering the airwash flow.

Rear air control - Located on the lower right side of the stove and controlling a flap at the rear of the stove, this controls air entering the rear of the coal bed.

Start up air control - Located in the same place as the rear air and in fact is operated by the same control lever (however this air control allows additional air to enter at the front of the coal bed while the startup timer has the air control open.)

The latter of the two air controls work as follows: The push-pull rod must be pushed all the way to "high" to activate the start-up air timer. This lever is then set to the desired rear air amount. After the startup air timer closes the additional startup air, the rear air control remains at the level the user selected. Of course this rear air can be closed therefore creating the traditional setup with combustion air only entering via the airwash and front of the unit.

My thoughts are, its a nice idea to give people the control of air entering the front and rear of the fire, while also giving the start up timer. I wonder if this is just too much for the casual or average wood burner. It does appeal to me though as I'm sure it would to others here.

Also, interestingly it seems that the secondary manifold like every other air channel of the stove is only fed with air from the right side. The secondary tubes seem to be only held up on the left side of the stove but not connected to any air feeding manifold.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I wish my stove had a rear air inlet/control. As it is I have to do some poking and rearranging sometimes to keep the coals in the back from smothering even with full primary (airwash) and "boost" (front bottom) air wide open.

OOohh

Now you all know.......and stop asking silly questions!

I even posted second on that thread! Oh well, sometimes I just don't pay attention.

We should probably put something in the Wiki about how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.