special cord for hanging lamp fixtures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I recall with near certainty running across a reference or specification for a type of lamp cord that is specifically rated to carry the weight of [small to medium] light fixtures.

But I can't for the life of me remember the nomenclature or spec., and Google searching just seems to drown me with irrelevant marketing stuff.

Any hints?

thanks

I know what you are talking about. I have not seen them sold as a parts kit in the lamp repair sections of hardware stores. I have seen them on new lighting fixtures. The wire is held into the cover with a collar that lets you adjust the length the fixture hangs down from the ceiling. I've only seen it for single pendant fixtures that are on the lightweight side.

Here is a link to a lamp store that I use for parts. I'm pretty sure that it is the wire. Bushings will need to be bought also.

http://www.grandbrass.com/catalog.cfm?category=Wire&subcategory=On the Roll or Loose

edit: for some reason the complete link is not working. Go to the Grand Brass website under wire and it will be there.

I'm curious as to what you come up with. It seems like any cord that has a tensile reinforcement element (usually fiberglass) would work. I think most extension cords are like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.