Special today on Pure Sine UPS...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chken

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2013
Maine
...for those of you who need one. I get a daily email from Newegg and have gotten one of these in the past thru their daily specials.

Today at 1pm ET, the Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD UPS is selling for $150. It's normally $200. I got mine at $165, I think.

It's definitely pure sine, and it has an auto voltage regulator, AVR, which will boost or drop your voltage without switching to battery power, so basically when people talk about brown-out protection, that's what AVR does. My stove now shows 1 hr of runtime when on battery. I have a smaller unit on my home theater, and I'm thinking of getting another big one given how good the price is. Then again, they may put these on daily deal every couple months since I got mine in March.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/Shell..._-42-102-134&et_cid=17864&et_rid=83016&et_p1=

Nice... just ordered it. Been waiting for a good price on one!

what would be good is if it accepted dirty generator power to charge its battery, while powering the stove from its battery thus converting the dirty gen power to clean pure sine. I havent come across one that does yet. I come across a lot of them, as i work with PC's. from high end to low, on gen power they beep and complain when attached to the genny

Reactions: chken
what would be good is if it accepted dirty generator power to charge its battery, while powering the stove from its battery thus converting the dirty gen power to clean pure sine. I havent come across one that does yet. I come across a lot of them, as i work with PC's. from high end to low, on gen power they beep and complain when attached to the genny

Yep. They see the dirty power from the genny and run the battery down.

Why I tell people here to test with the genny and ups before they start getting too comfortable. Same thing with batteries and an inverter.

Reactions: CleanFire and chken
Yep. They see the dirty power from the genny and run the battery down.
Why I tell people here to test with the genny and ups before they start getting too comfortable. Same thing with batteries and an inverter.
So, Dr. Faustus says he has yet to see one that powers and recharges at the same time off dirty generator power, and he sees a lot of them. Do you know which UPS models can be recharged off dirty generator power?

I have three different sizes/models of APC and two Cyberpowers and none of them will put up with a generator.

And when I had the wall of 3,000 VA commercial Powerware Prestige units in the basement shop they wouldn't either.

I have three different sizes/models of APC and two Cyberpowers and none of them will put up with a generator.

And when I had the wall of 3,000 VA commercial Powerware Prestige units in the basement shop they wouldn't either.
Okay, so looking for a UPS that charges off dirty generator power is a bit of a unicorn?

Some APC units claim that sensitivity can be adjusted for it and I have heard of "generator friendly" ups units, just haven't ever seen one.

Some APC units claim that sensitivity can be adjusted for it and I have heard of "generator friendly" ups units, just haven't ever seen one.
I did buy the Cyberpower because it accommodated a wide voltage range, thinking that it might be able to tolerate a generator's 5% variance, but I think ultimately it may be the clipped sine wave that is the problem. Of course, we didn't have any outages this past Winter, so I didn't get to see the Cyberpower in action until recently. Of course the stove was already off, but the home theater seemed to indicate that the battery wasn't charging on generator.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Yeah the AVR doesn't do anything for the mod sine wave. Just voltage variations. My Cyberpowers have AVR and they go nuts when tested with a genny or my battery banks with mod sine wave inverters.

I have the Cyberpower 1350 pure sine wave unit. Runs perfectly fine with my Champion 3500 watt generator.

Chit!, day late!

The APC Smart UPS I have has a sensitivity adjustment that will allow it to run on genny.

I run the Oil furnace with a generac 7500 watt and 10 breaker transfer box for most of the house in a power outtage.
won't chance running my Harman off of a standard Genny if I don't have to.

Attachments

• Install.JPG
    Install.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 248

My APC would not run with our Coleman contractor generator. Since then I have gone to CyberPower UPSs and they seemed to be ok with the Coleman. Last year I changed to a Yamaha inverter generator and there's been no problems at all. All electronics are happy.

Last edited:
Many of the inexpensive AVR units are 60hz +/-3 hz
freeze/quit at the limits or beyond

my best solution to this, for the people that don't use a furnace and just their stoves as a primary source of heat is to use a kerosene heater in those rare times the power is out. the kerosene lasts a long time in the container, so storing some isnt a problem. The clean generators are too little for the whole house, but they would power the stove. Whole house pure sine generators arent in the budget, and they usually run on propane - and I have no desire whatsoever to deal with a propane company.
I have a 10,000 watt diesel generator, which runs the entire house, well pump, sump pump and all other with no problem. The stove and microwave do not like it but thats it. So, the kerosene does a great job keeping the temp acceptable. The downside is you cant leave the house with it running, but i would not leave my house while it is on generator power anyway. If it ran out of gas or stalled or something, the sump pump would not work and then i'd have real troubles.

I have an APC UPS at home that will take a charge from my generator. I had to widen the voltage range it will allow before switching over. But, it will not charge and supply power from the batteries at the same time.
Strangely enough, I just made out a PO for a UPS made by APC - a 40KVA 3 phase unit that weighs just over 8000 pounds. I haven't seen it to play with yet, but for the price it should have some exceptional features. I've gone through quite a few home UPS's for my computers. This should be fun getting a chance to play with an industrial one.

The clean generators are too little for the whole house, but they would power the stove. Whole house pure sine generators arent in the budget, and they usually run on propane - and I have no desire whatsoever to deal with a propane company.

We have a 3000w inverter generator that powers everything we need in a power outage, while using very little fuel. No desire to deal with kerosene here - but there is no one size fits all solution.

my best solution to this, for the people that don't use a furnace and just their stoves as a primary source of heat is to use a kerosene heater in those rare times the power is out. the kerosene lasts a long time in the container, so storing some isnt a problem. The clean generators are too little for the whole house, but they would power the stove. Whole house pure sine generators arent in the budget, and they usually run on propane - and I have no desire whatsoever to deal with a propane company.
I have a 10,000 watt diesel generator, which runs the entire house, well pump, sump pump and all other with no problem. The stove and microwave do not like it but thats it. So, the kerosene does a great job keeping the temp acceptable. The downside is you cant leave the house with it running, but i would not leave my house while it is on generator power anyway. If it ran out of gas or stalled or something, the sump pump would not work and then i'd have real troubles.
This depends on the house config. and how one manages power. We can have long multi-day outages where the gas stations are out of power too. In a serious earthquake we need to be prepared for a couple weeks without services. That means keeping things simple and ready for a long haul. The wood stove covers heat, propane cooktop in the kitchen covers cooking. The 2.4Kw inverter generator is for refrigeration, charging up the UPSs and some nightime lights and maybe a movie. It runs on propane and gas. Propane is nice because it stores very well and we have multiple cylinders for BBQ, generator and a 120 gal tank connected to the cooktop that lasts several years on a filling. I need to rig up a take off from this supply to run the generator next. Finally we have a 2800w Onan in the RV that can handle our loads easily, but I haven't had to do that so far. During an outage I run the genset 2 hrs in the morning and about 4hrs at night. The only thing we are missing out on is hot water. The last long (6 day) outage we took sponge baths and used extra deodorant. The RV is new to us and has heat, hot water and a small shower so we could be cleaner, though temps would need to be above freezing to avoid pipe freeze there.

other than my pellet stove, I have used the Generac since Hurricane Sandy and 4 more outtages since.
I assume my Equipment has been able to handle it..
I won't run my Harman off of the Genny though.. use my oil furnace instead.

I have read 100 or more reviews on the Generac site for past few years and everyone seems to run everything and anything they can with GP series
during power outtages so I assume the electronics can handle the distortion which is prob slightly over 5%..... Cannot speak for other similar but different brand units.

Last edited:
I have an APC UPS at home that will take a charge from my generator. I had to widen the voltage range it will allow before switching over. But, it will not charge and supply power from the batteries at the same time.
Strangely enough, I just made out a PO for a UPS made by APC - a 40KVA 3 phase unit that weighs just over 8000 pounds. I haven't seen it to play with yet, but for the price it should have some exceptional features. I've gone through quite a few home UPS's for my computers. This should be fun getting a chance to play with an industrial one.
You have 3 phase service at your house?

Status
Not open for further replies.